Last time I use decathlon at surrey quays.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
I always recommend Decathlon for beginners to try out as it has range and space to try put new bikes. And they also great bikes for the price that they ask and across the range. They also do a good job in setting up your new bike. After that it goes South

1. Hopeless service when it comes to the workshop. Mechanics are ok, but poorly organised from the word go. Focus is on new bikes. I once brought a friend to hook up a new headset. The guy gave my friend a date 3 weeks later. I was so embarassed. I am not sure if the fact that he brought along his own headset was factor. You also see the mechanics printing soccer jerseys, tshirt transfers. Just go on a weekend and you all sorts of customers being put off. And many of them make that journey after reading their website on a comprehensive site including the express service.
  2. Re-stocking consumables across all categories. The fact that their staff use the same customer shopping baskets on wheels tells you they do not have enough tools to do proper job. Any staff would cut down on the re-stocking trips.

That sounds pretty bad, but it doesn't surprise me - a lot of large chain stores suffer from similar levels of disorganisation, i.e. Evans, Halfords etc.

That sounds pretty bad, but it doesn't surprise me - a lot of large chain stores suffer from similar levels of disorganisation, i.e. Evans, Halfords etc.

I just feel sorry for folks who make the journey with their bikes after reading their website. It can be easily solved - one person to handle queries, punch the order in, handle the billing and additional mechanics on weekends. Job done. Even it means to raise their bike prices by 5%

[QUOTE 3604900, member: 45"]They have additional mechanics at weekends.[/QUOTE]
I supposed they need more. Seen the queue and the unhappiness.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Start of Spring is probably also a pretty busy time for shops that sell cheap to optimistic proto-athletes, I could imagine a lot of people are getting bikes out from the dusty cobwebs right about now...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Having the past used surrey quays decathlon for the past 4 years for every bike I have purchased spares.
In January I purchased one of their cheap hybrid bikes only used it a few times was always a back up bike to get me in to work when my other bike is playing up or grit on the roads during winter.

So far this year have only used the bike three times. I have used btwin for a few years and have noticed that on the own brand wheels the spokes see to break easily.
On Friday night noticed the spoke had managed to break again. so took it surrey quays on Sat to be repaired.
In the past they have always repaired bikes same days normally with in an hour. Got there at 9am as doors opened only to be informed that it might take two to three hours due to back log of bikes.
Time I got out was 4pm and only as asked the chap how long it would be.
Not that I expect to be first in the que but I would rather have been informed that they couldnt do it that day.

I wont be using them again or purchasing bikes again from them.
I would suggest, having read the replies to this post, that you might reconsider using a store that has provided you with quality products and services for over 4 years...again.

Also, don't assume your broken spoke can ever be fixed in demand...by any bike shop.

On another note. People often mention on here about the benefits of a good wheel build. I used to break a RIM a year untill I paid £100 to have my rims relaced and properly tightened. Never had a creak or a crack since. Its a worthwhile upgrade to a decathlon I suspect and will give you many more miles from the wheels.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It is a bit annoying if they predict 2-3 hours and it takes longer, but not annoying enough to boycott the store imho. I think people expect too much from bike shops in general. They want the personal service provided by an LBS with the low prices of a global chain.

As for wheels, they should be anyone's first upgrade. I used to break spokes every few weeks, and would be in and out of my LBS for repairs. Then I shelled out on a pair of Shimano R510s (<£100) and I've done 3000 miles on them with no broken spokes, and they're still true.

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
True, but as the bike was semi brand new and under warranty it may only be a spoke. Bad customer services is bad customer service.
As above I wasnt expecting its same day and was willing to come back and collect in a week, after all its a back up bike.
Its reason to boycott a store for bad customer service and bad quality goods. I have hardly use the bike in the three months I have had it yet spoke is broken. I find btwin wheels to be poor in general that for me is reason enough not to use or buy their products again.

subaqua

What’s the point
True, but as the bike was semi brand new and under warranty it may only be a spoke. Bad customer services is bad customer service.
As above I wasnt expecting its same day and was willing to come back and collect in a week, after all its a back up bike.
Its reason to boycott a store for bad customer service and bad quality goods. I have hardly use the bike in the three months I have had it yet spoke is broken. I find btwin wheels to be poor in general that for me is reason enough not to use or buy their products again.
Yeah I refuse to buy anything from anywhere anymore as it invariably breaks and that's really bad.

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon's warranty covers frame, rigid fork, stem, handlebars. Not wheels. Unfortunately, it's a £200 bike, built to a very tight budget. It's no surprise the wheels are pretty poor, they were probably £20. Decathlon's cheap bikes are better than some other cheap bikes, but it's still a cheap bike.

However, I'm sure they'll survive without your custom and your LBS will be thankful for it (although I seem to recall you've had a gripe about those too?) Call in advance next time you need something done

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you thought about informing Decathlon of your experience? Along with your suggestion that had your expectations been set correctly there would not have been an issue?

thats the first time ive heard the phrase.....the bike was semi brand new ....

subaqua

What’s the point
semi as in almost only ridden three times for short journeys.
I bet I could knacker wheels and spokes in 3 short journeys.

maybe you bought a bike with Friday wheels. not a reason to never use anywhere ever again.

I sprained an ankle in Tesco car park once in a pot hole by an aco drain. doesn't stop me shopping in tesco

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
Not the point I have had a triban 3, Triban5 and now hybrid. The stock wheels spokes always seem to break in a short amount of time.
I have also seen on other forums that the wheels on the bikes are not the best. Normally i buy a bike on tight budget, dont want to end up forking out for extras when it should work straight out of the box. I will go second hand next time in hope of something better.

Top Bottom