Late for work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's no movement between the time you look back and until shortly after the pass. You were also in a position between primary and secondary - a strong primary would have been slightly right of the middle of the lane, when you're actually left of this. If you're going to make an avoiding movement, you ought to have been in a strong primary and then make a big movement to a definite secondary.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

There's no movement between the time you look back and until shortly after the pass. You were also in a position between primary and secondary - a strong primary would have been slightly right of the middle of the lane, when you're actually left of this. If you're going to make an avoiding movement, you ought to have been in a strong primary and then make a big movement to a definite secondary.

Look slightly earlier in the video. you will see I go directly over the arrow on the road. After he passes I do move over, not enough granted, but there isn't anything on the road to compare my position with. After he passes I move back out and you can see by the next arrow I am back over the centre of it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Of course BM, what your saying is, the close pass was my fault......:whistle::smile:

Don't be so sensitive, and there's no need to post a straw man. I'm simply pointing out that you could have done better with your defensive riding. Obv. the driver is to blame for passing badly, and you know very well that's the unspoken truth in my previous posts. Here I'm not being horrible, I'm just telling you like a friend would.

magnatom-1.jpg

magnatom-2.jpg

The truth is you could have been in a stronger primary, and that you didn't move over. Don't get me wrong, I get cross with myself for doing the same sort of thing. What I thought I did at the time turns out to be slightly different when seen on video.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Don't be so sensitive, and there's no need to post a straw man. I'm simply pointing out that you could have done better with your defensive riding. Obv. the driver is to blame for passing badly, and you know very well that's the unspoken truth in my previous posts. Here I'm not being horrible, I'm just telling you like a friend would.

[attachment=313:magnatom-1.jpg]

[attachment=314:magnatom-2.jpg]

The truth is you could have been in a stronger primary, and that you didn't move over. Don't get me wrong, I get cross with myself for doing the same sort of thing. What I thought I did at the time turns out to be slightly different when seen on video.

:biggrin: BM, you're sensitive today. Notice the smileys I was joking! (I should be sensitive and grumpy today as for the last couple of nights I've hardly had any sleep. Kids, eh!?)

I don't disagree with hindsight I could have moved over further. (I did move over, probably half a foot, and yes probably not enough!!). I think I was just surprised at the situation, given that there were no other cars, anywhere on the road. That's why I was annoyed and decided to follow him. Stronger primary? I'm not sure, as I say, I was over the very top of the arrow. I make a conscious effort to do that coming down there and it is pretty much in the centre of the lane.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with you questioning my position etc. If happen to disagree. He ho! I don't in any way think you are getting at me. :smile:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
For those who question my posting of videos, i.e what's the point? Is it worth it?

This video just had this response from a driver:

:biggrin:

Even changing just one drivers attitude is worth it!

I agree, I enjoy watching videos from other cyclists. I've learned to be a better cyclist by it.

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
I think it was a bit silly to follow this guy and have a pop at him.

He could have been some grade A loony with a knife/axe. It wont do you much cop if you have him on camera when you are laying on the floor with a axe stuck out of your head.

If you keep confronting every one that cuts you up on the road you will one day bump into the said loony and i dont think he will give a flying FU** if you have a camera or not.

I ride and drive in London every day and get cut up by bikes, motor bikes, cars and buses and what ever else is on the road. Its every man for himself out there and its part and parcel of comutting in a large city where everyone is in a rush to get some where.

This is just my thoughts on the matter :smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think it was a bit silly to follow this guy and have a pop at him.

He could have been some grade A loony with a knife/axe. It wont do you much cop if you have him on camera when you are laying on the floor with a axe stuck out of your head.

If you keep confronting every one that cuts you up on the road you will one day bump into the said loony and i dont think he will give a flying FU** if you have a camera or not.

I agree and have made this point to the "Helmet Warriors" many times before. xx( .

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OTOH Magnatom was very successful in this instance - he's got another driver thinking about driving more carefully around cyclists. Chapeau to him.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I really don't think there are very many axe wielding maniacs around.

Fair enough but you only have to look at the reaction you get from certain nutters to see how things could turn nasty. The idiot who parks up and comes running at BM clenching his fist as an example and I am pretty sure he said he had another one that pulled the camera from his helmet during a confrontation..

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
Ok maybe not and axe but maybe a knife, bar, bar tire iron... do i need to go on any more.

All i am saying is be carefull. I dont want to be coming on this forum and reading the one of the guys has been left at the side of the road as some loony has knock ten bells of SH** out of them.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I have some experience of chatting to drivers (no, REALLY!?!?) and to be fair, the vast majority are either dismissive, throw the odd insult or on occasion actually listen.

I definitely don't do it for the camera. My wife would confirm I'm not the sort to keep quiet when I see a wrong. Just the way I am. So it has nothing to do with me being a camera wearer.

As for the danger, I think it is minimal and I do take precautions. I always have one foot clipped in, and I tend to keep a distance, just as I did in this clip.

I would never recommend anyone else does what I do. On the other hand though, I hate it when people turn a blind eye to things.

Top Bottom