Latest groupset obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When someone like me asks on here about a bike they are thinking about that doesn't contain the latest groupset. It never ceases to bemuse me to see the responses.

People talk like its a cardinal sin to buy a bike which doesn't have the latest groupset. I'm pretty sure 99% of you are not professional cyclists. How much difference does it actually make in your own real world performance? I'm not into racing. Yes being able to go a little faster is nice. But the discounts on buying at the end of the season just before the next year models come out can be significant.

Is buying a new bike with a year old groupset really that bad?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No-one needs the latest groupset. It's unlikely to improve anyone's performance going from 11 to 12 or 13 speed by anything other than a tiny, tiny margin.

However, given I'm guessing this is linked to your thread about buying a new bike, I would expect that if a bike is being sold as "new" and the groupset accompanying the bike is a year old AND no longer produced then I would want a discount offered on the purchase price.

The manufacturer will have bought the groupset previously, probably at a lower price that the new one, and I would expect this to be passed on.

When someone like me asks on here about a bike they are thinking about that doesn't contain the latest groupset. It never ceases to bemuse me to see the responses.

People talk like its a cardinal sin to buy a bike which doesn't have the latest groupset. I'm pretty sure 99% of you are not professional cyclists. How much difference does it actually make in your own real world performance? I'm not into racing. Yes being able to go a little faster is nice. But the discounts on buying at the end of the season just before the next year models come out can be significant.

When you buy a new bike the expectation is have the latest components. If you buy a discounted bike at year end which is sensible as there are bargains to be had. Not sure what the issue is?

Which new bike does not have the latest group-set?

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Yeah it was mostly related to my thread. But I've seen on other threads that people wouldn't buy a brand new bike with a year old groupset even if its heavily discounted. For some people its just a no no.

Why ask people's opinions if you don't want them then ?

People are odd. Some people need the latest iphone straight away and others still have Nokias.
There's a huge range of opinions.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That's the effect of marketing in an era of consumption.

Further I'd expect the good, reasoned people of CC to generally share your perspective - so I'm not sure where you're seeing this groundswell of disdain for older hardware..

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Which thread was that?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don't have links with specific threads in my mind.

You must have some, that have triggered you to start this thread. Must admit I haven’t seen these threads where posters are stating the OP must get the latest groupset. Hence I was interested in seeing the threads you are referring to, to get a sense of what you mean.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know about having the latest group set but there seems to an obsession with upgrading it or thinking the base models are in some way poor and won't perform adequately. Most noticeable in the 'What Bike' discussions.
Whichever one it is Shimano shareholders won't be complaining.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Gearsets peaked about ten years ago with pre-2014 Campagnolo 11sp anyway. The ones with the nice cranksets before they changed the spider, and when everything was compatible with everything else and they still had triples. I'm done, I'm happy, that's it for me, I don't want anything else.

Top Bottom