Latest groupset obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
When someone like me asks on here about a bike they are thinking about that doesn't contain the latest groupset. It never ceases to bemuse me to see the responses.

People talk like its a cardinal sin to buy a bike which doesn't have the latest groupset. I'm pretty sure 99% of you are not professional cyclists. How much difference does it actually make in your own real world performance? I'm not into racing. Yes being able to go a little faster is nice. But the discounts on buying at the end of the season just before the next year models come out can be significant.

Is buying a new bike with a year old groupset really that bad?

Sorry, but I think that you have made some unsubstantiated sweeping statements there. ☹️

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I recently upgraded my Dura ace groupset to Tiagra. My friend said "hey that's not an upgrade, that's a downgrade". I told him "Tiagra lasts longer, isn't that an upgrade?"

He said "no, the Dura ace costs more money so that is an upgrade". I told him "how about one day the marketing people swap the prices around and tell everyone that Tiagra lasts longer so it's more expensive. Would you then consider it an upgrade?"

He said I better go to one of those cycling forums and confuse everyone with my thoughts.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think I've come across anyone moaning that its a sin to not have the latest groupset, on here or in real life.

Both my main bikes were Ultegra. As the parts wear out I've been downgrading to 105 and lower. I'm done spending silly money on parts.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I recently upgraded my Dura ace groupset to Tiagra. My friend said "hey that's not an upgrade, that's a downgrade". I told him "Tiagra lasts longer, isn't that an upgrade?"

He said "no, the Dura ace costs more money so that is an upgrade". I told him "how about one day the marketing people swap the prices around and tell everyone that Tiagra lasts longer so it's more expensive. Would you then consider it an upgrade?"

He said I better go to one of those cycling forums and confuse everyone with my thoughts.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the actual differences are between Shimano gearsets beyond cable routing and 'it's a bit smoother'.

That said, your point doesn't necessarily hold. Higher tier gearsets can last longer because they're more serviceable. For example a part that's bolted rather than pressed together can be disassembled and components cleaned and replaced rather than simply binned off. Cheap stuff can be a right bugger to take apart and put back together again.

rivers

How far can I go?
Meh, my best bike is still running 105 5800 and has rim brakes (gasp!), my TT bike ultegra 6800 (also has rim brakes). My gravel/winter/wet weather bike has the most modern groupset- 105 R7000 and disc brakes. I won't be upgrading it to the new 105 Di2- it gets thrown about, ridden through pretty much anything, etc. I would love for my best bike to have Di2, so I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for used ultegra r8050. But I also won't cry if it only ever has 5800. It works flawlessly.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think I've come across anyone moaning that its a sin to not have the latest groupset, on here or in real life.

Both my man bikes were Ultegra. As the parts wear out I've been downgrading to 105 and lower. I'm done spending silly money on parts.

What about your woman bikes? ^_^

Depends how old your DA is.
If it's worn out then I'd say that a brand new Tiagra groupset is probably an upgrade.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I build up my bikes with the bits I actually want, so the idea of a groupset (this year's or last year's) off-the-peg doesn't really figure.

I build up my bikes with the bits I actually want, so the idea of a groupset (this year's or last year's) off-the-peg doesn't really figure.

It's usually cheaper to get the groupset though. And you know it plays nicely together.

Top Bottom