Law on cars making right turns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slats97

Hoping someone can tell me what the law is here.

I was (slowly) filtering through slow moving/stationary traffic when a car in the opposite (oncoming) lane made a very fast right turn into a side road I was just coming across.

I saw it and managed to mostly stop and turn but was still knocked off from contact with the side of the car.
Who is in the right here?

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless there are any signs, road markings or traffic lights to indicate otherwise, the car driver is at fault. You've just discovered why filtering is regarded by the old and bold as quite hazardous.

Debade

Über Member
I assume the motor vehicles where you are writing from have steering wheels on the right. If so, you were in a right cross collision. It is among the most common along with the left hook. My suggestion is you look online or other training for the safest approach for preventing these and other collisions. Intersections are the most likely collision location.
Being right is important. Being healthy is more important and worth the time investment to learn the safest approach.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Would I be right in assuming the cars you were filtering through had left a gap so this chap could turn right (being courteous to him)?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not commenting on fault, but just for clarity, were you filtering on the kerbside of the stationary vehicles or were you passing on the drivers side where you could be more readily seen by oncoming roadusers?

As has already been said, filtering presents it's own particular set of hazards as you have just discovered.

Drago

Legendary Member
I assume the motor vehicles where you are writing from have steering wheels on the right. If so, you were in a right cross collision. It is among the most common along with the left hook. My suggestion is you look online or other training for the safest approach for preventing these and other collisions. Intersections are the most likely collision location.
Being right is important. Being healthy is more important and worth the time investment to learn the safest approach.
When I was a bobby I once stood there and watched as a cyclist with a massive compound leg fracture was wheeled into the back of the ambulance screaming "it was my right of way!", as if that would somehow make his bones unbreak themselves.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There was a saying in yachting parlance which went " He was right, dead right as he stood his ground". This referred to sailing boats who were on a course which gave them right of way not unlike bikes and cars. I once sailed with a skipper like that. Scary.

si_c

Guru
Assuming you are UK based the driver of the car was at fault.

It's a hard one to mitigate against sometimes, I had it happen to me on a February commute while riding in a cycle lane with 1000lumen front headlamp - was filtering towards a set of lights and someone pulled across in front of me. Hadn't seen them as I was passing a van at the time. Resulted in a separated shoulder so you've come off lightly.

A thousand lumens, the driver had probably closed his eyes.^_^

si_c

Guru
A thousand lumens, the driver had probably closed his eyes.^_^
:laugh: It's actually got a proper lense on the light to the beam is focussed on the road rather than straight ahead, in fairness to her she probably never saw it until I thumped into the side of the car.

Top Bottom