Lawful Instructions Of A Police Officer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you follow the instructions of a police officer, car parked across the road preventing access, and those instructions will see you end up on the alternate route for all vehicle traffic, which happens to be a motorway. You're aware at the time, where the alternate route descibed is going to be taking you.
Which would be the greater offence. Cycling on the motorway, under the lawful instruction of a police officer or going on the road that has now been closed. Having first walked the bike past with the bike, then got back on once there's some distance between you and the police officer?

There is no other alternate route & the road you are on has no turn offs for nearly 2 miles. The first of which is where you need to be headed!

Unless there is a really valid reason, "access" trumps most road closures

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Why not explain to the copper why you can't take the alternate route?

I think the denial of access might be more or less absolute depending on the reason. If, for example, there had been a fatality ahead in suspicious circumstances, and the police were gathering forensic evidence, I can see that no-one should be allowed through. On the other hand, if pedestrians are being allowed through there is no reason why cyclists shouldn't go through either.

Crankarm

Guru
Depends why the Police are re directing you.

If you disobey them you run the risk of being arrested for obstruction.

Perverse as they would be obstructing you. Given that most plods seem to be ignorant of the finer points of the law they might be detaining you unlawfully or in deed obstructing you in the course of your lawful activities.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
As Spinney said, why not tell the cop you'd end up on the motorway?

GC
Did do, but his instructions were that all vehicle traffic be directed back down the hill & onto the motorway. Cyclists, I don't think they'd even considered the fact that people cycle to work in out of way places!

robjh

Legendary Member
Did do, but his instructions were that all vehicle traffic be directed back down the hill & onto the motorway.
That would then include tractors, 50cc mopeds and horse carts. The guy must have realised the absurdity and irresponsibility of the instruction so you would have expected him at least to radio his superiors for clarification.

Don't know what I would have done in the situation. What do you do in the end?

Ok, you get off and walk. If no pedestrians are allowed either your riute is blocked and you need to find an alternative route. A policeman may incorrectly tell uou to go on the motorway but you have a responsibility to follow the law despite the pOlicemans instructions. Therefore you turn back the way you came. Sometimes roads get blocked off.

oldroadman

Veteran
So, what did you do eventually? If you followed the instructions you commit an offence, and your own sense would tell you a motorway (clue in the name) is not the place to be. People get killed on the hard shoulder.
First thing make a note of the PC's number, then ask him to get hold of his command for clarification. If you could not get to work then give them a call and ask the PC to speak to them and explian why you could not get there - or will be very late due to a massive detour (this is called the going for a nice potter bit!). Either way you get to ride a little bit more than expected and under no real time pressure. Result!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
There was no other open route, other than the motorway, to get me Where I needed to be. Road closed at all entrances. So no practical alternate route available. My only means of getting where I was required was down that road.
@Spinney, I honestly don't think that those who issued him with the instructions of all vehicle traffic to be directed onto the motorway considered cyclists when issuing the instructions.
I ended up going past the car on the bike, whilst he was directing other traffic to the alternate route. Therefore I'd failed to follow the lawfull instructions of a police officer.
But of the two which would be the greater offence?

Top Bottom