Lawful Instructions Of A Police Officer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
There was no other open route, other than the motorway, to get me Where I needed to be. Road closed at all entrances. So no practical alternate route available. My only means of getting where I was required was down that road.
@Spinney, I honestly don't think that those who issued him with the instructions of all vehicle traffic to be directed onto the motorway considered cyclists when issuing the instructions.
I ended up going past the car on the bike, whilst he was directing other traffic to the alternate route. Therefore I'd failed to follow the lawfull instructions of a police officer.
But of the two which would be the greater offence?

Given that his instruction to you to use the Motorway was unlawful IF he then tried to arrest you for obstruction, hand cuffed and beat you as you rebuffed his attempts to arrest and cuff you then this would be unlawful and classed as assault and depending on the nature of your injuries common assault, abh or gbh if he used his baton taser or fire arm. You could win considerable damages if you then sued the plod. Most cops are pretty thick it doesn't surprise me that they had not even two brain cells between them to consider they might be sending slow and vulnerable road users onto a motorway that they are VERY CLEARLY prohibited from using for good reason. That reason being you might very well be killed very quickly. The plod also owe you a duty of care and quite frankly you have shown them to be totally reckless with respect to your own safety. What an idiot for directing cyclists onto a motorway! The guy needs sacking. I would make a complaint to the Chief Plod and the IPCC.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 2793425, member: 45"]This is silly. You know full-well that you can't cycle on a motorway. If there's no other route then you go home. I wouldn't even bother reporting the police officer. More helpful would be to contact the police about the diversion and point out that they did not appear to have considered non-motorway traffic.[/quote]

I wouldn't even bother with this total waste of time and cost of the call. It will be totally ignored even laughed at.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 2793425, member: 45"]This is silly. You know full-well that you can't cycle on a motorway. If there's no other route then you go home. I wouldn't even bother reporting the police officer. More helpful would be to contact the police about the diversion and point out that they did not appear to have considered non-motorway traffic.[/quote]
Yes, I know that as did the police officer and as I've said here 46 minutes ago.
"I honestly don't think that those who issued him with the instructions of all vehicle traffic to be directed onto the motorway considered cyclists when issuing the instructions."

Thats why I asked which would be the greater offence. Following the lawful instructions, know I'd be breaking the law or ignoring the lawful instructions & break the law?
You'd never get on the motorway. You'd have to sit and listen to a lecture on high viz and plastic hats until you got bored and ran the roadblock.
Had the hi-viz, no hard hat though.

Crankarm

Guru
Yes, I know that as did the police officer and as I've said here 46 minutes ago.
"I honestly don't think that those who issued him with the instructions of all vehicle traffic to be directed onto the motorway considered cyclists when issuing the instructions."

Thats why I asked which would be the greater offence. Following the lawful instructions, know I'd be breaking the law or ignoring the lawful instructions & break the law?

Had the hi-viz, no hard hat though.

But the instruction from the plod would NOT be lawful that is the thing as it is NOT legal for cyclists to ride on the motorway. If you protested or resisted his UNLAWFUL instruction then he is liable for anything that then happens to you if he tries to arrest you, detain you or worse beat you if you resisted. He would also be liable if you in a mistaken belief followed his instruction believing it to be lawful as he is a police officer and ought to know the law especially such a basic one as the types of vehicles allowed to use a motorway. It beggars belief really. If it wasn't so potentially dangerous it would be funny.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
You'd have to put clean under wear and a helmet on.
Don't go bring helmets into this!!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Perverse as they would be obstructing you. Given that most plods seem to be ignorant of the finer points of the law they might be detaining you unlawfully or in deed obstructing you in the course of your lawful activities.

But on the other hand they may be trying to save your life by keeping you away from a chemical spiller, a hostage situation, a firearms incident or a range of other things. You have no idea what is down that road. Do as instructed and go the way he tells you. If he is sending you onto a motorway other steps will be taken to bring the traffic to a crawl. I would expect he would send you back the way you came rather send you onto a motorway.

Whats wrong with cycling on a motorway?

013-1.jpg

Steve

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Were pedestrians being allowed through? If so, then you should have been allowed to wheel your bike through.
Only as far as their house, 30 foot from where the car was parked across the road, at the last junction avaiable.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
@steveindenmark
Where I was headed had two ways in. The road I was on & the motorway.
Shortest detour available would have been around 20 miles & then hope I could get in that way.

These things happen. The third option as I mention above is that you turn back because your route is blocked. No laws broken, no 2 page thread. It's annoying but t happens.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
These things happen. The third option as I mention above is that you turn back because your route is blocked. No laws broken, no 2 page thread. It's annoying but t happens.
Option to turn back wasn't there, so there was no third option. Given that the only other way out or in is via the motorway.

Top Bottom