Lawful to Eat & Drink on the Move?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Hi, once again after receiving an email from British Cycling titled How to Take Water and containing this video
http://tinyurl.com/y8wottmf
I am a little confused?

Back in 2005 woman fined £60 + £100 costs for eating an apple whilst driving.
2015 Woman fined £100 + 3 points for eating a banana in a traffic jam

So are cyclists exempt?

They weren't charged with eating, they were charged with careless driving (or similar). That's not an offence cyclists can commit.

There is careless cycling, so if your eating or drinking makes you "cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road" then you are "guilty of an offence." So eat with care.

Last edited:

S-Express

Eating/drinking while driving is not illegal. The law only provides for being in proper control of the vehicle.

As I understand this, the law recognises that a bicycle can be fully and properly controlled with one hand (you are required to do so when signalling)

Hence there is no offence as stated by @jefmcg

Reactions: mjr
When I was an apprentice, one of my jobs was to make a fried breakfast in the back of the Bedford van whilst on the way to the job.
And that's very dangerous to do while you are driving! :whistle:

Tin Pot

Guru
I only do it on straight motorway stretches obvs, but I often eat a plate of food resting on my knees, using a knife and fork and never had a prob.
People are too safety conscious these days.

It was the woman with the bowl of cereal and a spoon on her lap that got me.

Top Bottom