LBS lied to make a sale - why so short-sighted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
When I can, I like to build a relationship with local businesses and support the little guy.
Last April, the Missus and I decided we would like to buy our first proper road bikes.
Went round all the usual haunts - some large chains and some local independents.
The wife had less choice because she's female, so we settled for a new current model for her.
As for me - I quite liked the idea of buying last years model for a couple of hundred quid off. It meant I could get a better equipped bike for my budget.
We decided we'd buy both bikes from the same shop - this same shop that we'd already spent a couple of thousand on two hybrids, a MTB and various accessories, clothing etc.
We thought - we're regular customers so we should be able to trust these guys.

Here's my beef - I was told the bike I was buying was a 2014 model, so I bought it at £300 pounds off the £1500 sticker price.
Some time later, I've found out that it's actually a 2013 model. In fact there is a bar code sticker under the BB which clearly says so.
I'm pleased with the bike, I like it and it ticks my boxes. I'm also OK with the price I paid.
I don't think it would have put me off buying it if I'd known the truth at the point of purchase.
What the LBS have done is taken away the trust element, which IMO is one of the foremost reasons for using the LBS. For this reason they won't be seeing any more of my hard-earned cash.
I wondered if it could have been a genuine mistake. I don't see how. This establishment is a dealer for this particular brand, and the 2013 models are a completely different colour scheme to the 2014 models. There is no way they were not aware.
I suppose it could be said that I should have done my research first, but I'm a trusting sort - I thought these guys valued our business.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's hardly like the "new model" car though. Providing the bike is a good 'un, and you've got a good price so what? It's just as likely the maker would have put different or maybe worse bits on the new model according to what deal they've got off Shimano.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It's hardly like the "new model" car though. Providing the bike is a good 'un, and you've got a good price so what? It's just as likely the maker would have put different or maybe worse bits on the new model according to what deal they've got off Shimano.
With respect, I think you've missed my point.
I've said that I'm happy with the bike.
What I'm not so happy about is the LBS feeling the need to mislead me about the model year. In short, they lied.

Depends if the 2013 model has a lower spec than the 2014 model you wanted ? also did you order a 2014 bike specifically or did you pop into the shop and say I'll have that one ? if so they sold you the bike you wanted .

Paul

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Depends if the 2013 model has a lower spec than the 2014 model you wanted ? also did you order a 2014 bike specifically or did you pop into the shop and say I'll have that one ? if so they sold you the bike you wanted .

Paul
I'm happy with the bike.
My question: "Is this a 2014 model?"
Answer "Yes"

I'm pleased with the bike, I like it and it ticks my boxes. I'm also OK with the price I paid.
Off this quote ... just enjoy your bike/s and ride them . Call by the shop and tell them why you are upset with your experiences and you will not be returning.

what @Cuchilo says is correct it could also have been a genuine mistake but hardly likely i would have thought , go back and ask them , it sounds like it eating away at you ,
either tackle it head on with the shop or just enjoy the bike your happy with and shop elsewhere in future

Joffey

Big Dosser
Sounds like a genuine mistake, I imagine it's easy done when you are giving the sales pitch, he was probably thinking about the specs rather than the year.

Like previously suggested, if it is bothering you that much go back and talk to the LBS about it. worst case is they will say it was a mistake and say sorry, best case they give you some free stuff.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It may have been an honest mistake or a misunderstanding. Or maybe you're right and the salesman was trying to hoodwink you.

The best thing would be to ring the shop and politely explain your issue. If your complaint is upheld, they may even offer some freebies as a goodwill gesture.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It's not bothering me unduly. It's not eating away at me. There's worse things in the world to worry about.
I feel it's too long since I bought the bike to go back and grumble about it - I found out by chance when I had the bike upside down for the first time and saw the barcode sticker. It's not a big deal - I just wish they hadn't taken advantage of my naivety.

It's not bothering me unduly. It's not eating away at me. There's worse things in the world to worry about.
I feel it's too long since I bought the bike to go back and grumble about it - I found out by chance when I had the bike upside down for the first time and saw the barcode sticker. It's not a big deal - I just wish they hadn't taken advantage of my naivety.

I would suggest sending an email to express your concern and copy the manufacturer. Any LBS employee would be able to tell the difference if the model colours changed. And there is price differential between between a year old model and 2 year old model. I am actually surprised that they carry a 2 year model as these are usually sent back.

Top Bottom