LBS lied to make a sale - why so short-sighted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I would suggest sending an email to express your concern and copy the manufacturer. Any LBS employee would be able to tell the difference if the model colours changed. And there is price differential between between a year old model and 2 year old model. I am actually surprised that they carry a 2 year model as these are usually sent back.

I think it would be unfair to copy the manufacturer in at this stage. I'd call the shop and give them a chance to sort it first.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
whilst I (almost) understand the gripe, a bike never struck me as a "last years model" type of thing, any more than buying "last year's suit" at my taylors.

Fair enough if they'd changed to a more (or less) desirable tubing or whatever - in which case you'd be buying based on features rather than model year. All seems a bit silly - sorry

Neilsmith

I understand where your coming from, it's not so much this transaction which your happy with, but whether you can trust them in the future, it would make me weary for any purchases going ahead, how would you know your getting accurate advice.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
whilst I (almost) understand the gripe, a bike never struck me as a "last years model" type of thing, any more than buying "last year's suit" at my taylors.

Fair enough if they'd changed to a more (or less) desirable tubing or whatever - in which case you'd be buying based on features rather than model year. All seems a bit silly - sorry
Yes, I agree with everything you're saying, except for the last sentence. I'm not bothered about having the very latest thing, never have been.
If there's no difference in spec, then why pretend it's a year younger than it is?

Globalti

Legendary Member
It would be quite simple when next in the shop to chuck a casual remark into the conversation to the effect that the bike they sold you was two years old not one year.

The reaction ought to reveal plenty:

1 - The salesman looks embarrassed and admits he made a mistake: you over-reacted.

2 - The salesman tries to bluff his way out of it: you probably were right.

3 - The salesman grabs a screwdriver, stabs himself and falls to the floor melodramatically, wailing that you've ruined his career: you should have just kept quiet.

as previously said , some of next years bikes, ie 2016 spec , have already been maufactured this year, if its sold next year with a 2015 manufacture date its still 2016 spec, it IS POSSIBLE that you wasnt deliberatly lied to, but like you say it isnt bothering you unduly , :wacko: oh , other bike shops are available.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Sorry,I omitted to mention - it was the proprietor I was dealing with.
As suggested, some time in the future I will drop in to look at something, and make a casual comment and see what reaction I get.

To sum up - I always prefer to build relationships (I strive to do that in business every day). Relationships include building a mutual trust. It's a shame when something happens to erode that trust.

And thank you to all who took the time to think about this and comment. :hugs:

Edit:
I got curious and did some research on 2013 vs 2014 spec.
Only differences I can see (apart from colour) are rims and tyres.
2013: Alexrims Race 24 / Maxxis Detonator 60 KV
2014 Shimano R501 / Continental Ultra Sport II 25

I'm not clever enough to know what the best rim/tyre combination is.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
only 1 course of action.

burn the shop !

mattobrien

Guru
I've recently bought a 2016 model bike, but bought it in 2015. Not sure if the year is on any kind of barcode on the bike, but I suppose I could legitimately answer yes to both questions, is it a 2015 bike or is it a 2016 bike.

Could it be a 2014 spec bike that was manufactured in 2013?

I wonder if it was a mistake, as it must be difficult to keep an eye on what bike is from what year, especially as the 2016 bikes are now out / being talked about. It would be possible of other etc be 2013/13/15/16 bikes all to remember. I don't envy the shop owners / workers.

Glad you're happy with the bike though

I was wondering what the cut off point for year of manufacture was. As with cars you could get a year of manufacture for different years with the same reg no.
So would a bike built on 30th Dec be a year older than a bike built on the 2nd of Jan.

Top Bottom