LBS Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesM

Ellis Briggs, West Yorkshire

I just bought a bike through CycleScheme from Ellis Briggs, in Shipley, West Yorks.

They were helpful in my selection of bike, fitted all the bits I wanted, and even knocked a few quid off a lock I bought as an afterthought without any prompting from me.

I'm sure anybody local to the Shipley area will be well aware of Ellis Briggs but I thought I'd mention them here anyway.

jimboalee

There's a LBS, and a shop that sells bikes.

Fred Williams is a LBS. So are Scott's in Hall Green, Birmingham.

The way to identify them is to get in their back room and look at the shelves of antique stuff, just in case an oldun like me needs something for a sixties or seventies bike.

Another is my freind Neil at Gascoignes in Coleshill.

alp1950

Having been in the market for a new bike & accessories for the past couple of months I've been impressed with the advice given in many of the cycle shops in & around Glasgow whether big (Dales, Alpine Bikes, Evans) or small (Solid Rock, Billybilsland).

If I could only pick one it would have to be Billybilsland cycles http://billybilslandcycles.co.uk/ Neil, Billy's son, gives great service, knows his bikes, and is reliable. I've been impressed at his integrity (eg he refuses to stock bike-shaped objects, even though he'd probably make more money if he did).

Another one I use is on yer bike Street on the High Street very friendly.
I went in there the other day for advice I asked if he thought I need new tyres and he said no he said they have a lot more life in them.
Not a lot of LBS would do that no website that I know of

redcogs

Guru
Banchory Cycles in (believe it or not!) Banchory nearish Aberdeen. They have good repair facilities, a good selection of kit, along with friendly expertise which is offered by active cyclists who understand the needs of beginners as well as more advanced people.

http://www.banchorycycles.co.uk/

When my Thorn Raven was crash damaged recently, Peter the mechanic diagnosed the tracking problem quickly and took considerable trouble to obtain an appropriate replacement set of forks when it became obvious that the original type had become obsolete - all included as part of the service.

Highly recommended.

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
Hi...this is my first post!...Best LBS in Cambridge is Bicycle Ambulance mainly in Park Street car park...also in Cambridge Science Park near Milton on Monday....Rick and andy are the best....also recommended is Outspoken Cycles....good range of stuff and Peter makes exceedingly good wheels!

Raleigh Man said:
The Bicycle Chain in Bridgwater the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, they offer an extensive range of bikes and accessories.
The Bicycle Chain

I bought my bike through the bike to work scheme from The Bicycle Chain

theboytaylor

Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich, SE London:
http://www.harryperrycycles.co.uk/

Great advice always willingly given, generous with their time and thorough in their work. My current bike has been serviced there and received the benefit of their wise words several times.

Haven't bought a bike off them but their own name frames look tempting! Someone also recommended his spraying service on londonfgss.

Dave5N

Über Member
Pompey Princess said:
In the Portsmouth area (well, Havant)

Try Sivyer Cycles in North Street Arcade (and in Waterlooville too). Excellent advice and service.

Also, Fishbourne, nr Chichester there's a shop on the A259 - can't remember their name but they were also very helpful.

Is Carter and Hall still going? Used to love that shop.

BIGSESAL

If your near Glasgow I would recommend Evans at Escape, Braehead. I know this really isn't a LBS but I got great advice from the guys who know their stuuf. Plus I got a good discount from them. Other will disagree but I thought the service was excellent.

Much better than Dales in the city centre who tried to sell me a medium sized road bike when I needed the XL just to try and clear stock and not have the hassel of ordering a bike into store.

For clothing and other bicycle related items I would go to Alpine Bikes in the city centre. They have good staff and decent prices.

BIGSESAL said:
If your near Glasgow I would recommend Evans at Escape, Braehead. I know this really isn't a LBS but I got great advice from the guys who know their stuuf. Plus I got a good discount from them. Other will disagree but I thought the service was excellent.

Much better than Dales in the city centre who tried to sell me a medium sized road bike when I needed the XL just to try and clear stock and not have the hassel of ordering a bike into store.

For clothing and other bicycle related items I would go to Alpine Bikes in the city centre. They have good staff and decent prices.

That's good to know. They are on my bike to work scheme and so I could purchase from them. Was it weekend staff or midweek staff? I know this can make a difference.

BIGSESAL

magnatom said:
That's good to know. They are on my bike to work scheme and so I could purchase from them. Was it weekend staff or midweek staff? I know this can make a difference.

Do you mean Dales or Evans?
It was weakend staff for both of them.

MrRidley

Phillip langs gallowgate glasgow
excellent service and good range of bikes i use him quite a lot when you go in often enough does minor things with no charge, been there since 1966 used to be his dad's shop.

Top Bottom