LBS service v DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's just lazy to give everything to the LBS. I buy my bikes from the LBS, because I can ride before I buy. I can't be arsed with cabling, so I give the LBS the job, I do everything else.

andyfraser

Über Member
I hate doing anything more than fitting tyres or replacing inner tubes. I can do pretty much everything to my gears but find it frustrating to reindex them.

I'd love to learn to true my wheels though. From when I notice they need doing to actually booking the bike in can be weeks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So you went for a ride in the mud, the brakes got worn down a bit and you ended up with more slack. It would have taken thirty seconds to adjust that out when you cleaned the mud off the bike.

I visit my lbs on a Weekly basis as we have a good laugh. I buy bits and pieces and bought my Koga World Traveller from him and he knows I have too many bikes so doesnt try to sell to me.
It's always useful to keep your eye in at your LBS. The better they know you, the deeper your pockets are, the more likely they are to give you discounts and first dibs on sale stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm an 'everything but wheels' guy as well, mind it does help having a wheelbuilder with over 50 years experience (and not just cycle wheels, he's also recommended by the Maserati owners club amongst others and does a lot of work on vintage racing motorcycles and sidecars/3 wheelers)

Mix of both, depending on time and need. I also enjoy servicing and fiddling with the bike. One item I will hand over to the LBS is fixing a broken spoke. The range, the selection, etc is so wide that it best done at LBS as they have inventory. The LBS guy told me that he spends more time finding the right sized spoke and then actually doing the work and this with the measuring gauge at hand.

Top Bottom