LBS service v DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

howdenbiker

After last weeks excursion through the mud my disc brakes were decidely sloppy on the commute to work this morning. I considered spending tomorrow morning taking them apart and learning how they work, save somew money but I had planned on going out on a ride.

I work right opposite a LBS so decided to take the lazy way and stump up the cash for a clean and sertvice of the brakes. Just been to pick up the bike, how much? no charge, it only took me 10 minutes, so now I can play with brakes in the summer and go for a ride tomorrow :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
After last weeks excursion through the mud my disc brakes were decidely sloppy on the commute to work this morning. I considered spending tomorrow morning taking them apart and learning how they work, save somew money but I had planned on going out on a ride.

I work right opposite a LBS so decided to take the lazy way and stump up the cash for a clean and sertvice of the brakes. Just been to pick up the bike, how much? no charge, it only took me 10 minutes, so now I can play with brakes in the summer and go for a ride tomorrow :-)
Do you know what your problem was?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Seems awfully nice of your lbs.

A lot of bike maintenance is very simple once you know your way round them.And it's that skill that you pay your lbs for - not the actual time of the job.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I service all my bikes at my lbs,each one probably every 2 years ,services always seem expensive but if I have any adjustments or advice,help it is given or done foc,the rest of the time,and I have confidence even the unusual of jobs are noticed and done

J1780

Very nice of your lbs. I carry out my own servicing and replacing although I do use the lbs at times. I always try to buy my parts etc from them and so keep up a fairly good relationship its just that I like to work on my bikes, as well as the wife and kids bikes hence the need for a lbs sometimes...time is limited here all too often :smile:
The help of your lbs is often invaluable.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I do all my own servicing and repairs apart from wheel building. Only can't do that because I've never learnt how to properly. Maybe one day.
I used to build and race motorcycles and there's nothing on a bicycle that is any more complicated. Actually, they are generally a lot, lot simpler.
Only use LBS for work if a very special tool is required to do a job but is not worth the investment for a one off purchase of the tool.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above although I didnt race motorcycles I used to buy repair sell etc but learning to maintain a cycle is always worth the effort even if it just helps you get to work in the morning after a puncture..

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Wheel out, clean the brake surfaces and rotors, make sure rotor is central in the gap, check the hydraulic resevoir/cable tension is ok & brakes not caching when lever pulled & jobs a good un.
All that is done in moments and I would guess your LBS found nothing wrong that cleaning the contact parts didn't fix nor needed to get a spanner or oil out so have the decency and customer service ethic not to charge for common sense and simple tasks.

Good on them, you are lucky to have decent people close by.

I've been to a shop my experience suggests would have charged a ££ service price even if they'd just wiped the rotors with a greasy rag and told you the brakes had been stripped and rebuilt.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
The only thing I would use my lbs for is wheel truing as I don't have a clue. I have used them in the past before I knew what I was doing and they are a good outfit tbh. £5 for cone tightening and they greased the seat post and gave it a quick clean and lube whilst it was there.
Happy to support local business when needed, my only issue is when it comes to parts its always cheaper to buy online and I can't justify lbs prices.

OP
OP
howdenbiker

howdenbiker

Thanks for all your comments, shop is Selby Bike Centre in North Yorkshire. I've bought parts there that I could get cheaper on line but then they save me time by fitting them for next to nothing or free.
I just bought a bike from them, it was in their sale from £1,250 to £750 and no on line shop was anywhere near that price.

I think it pays to be aware, I use on line shops as well but given a choice it would be my lbs. If you show support it is rewarded :-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As you say, they seem very reasonable. Keeps you as a happy customer if the job was literally a quick clean.

Wrth knowing the basics yourself though, and even if you can't do it, at least you can give the mechanics an idea, which saves time for them, and cost to you!

Top Bottom