LCD TVs - which one to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
User482 said:
That's probably because they were running several TVs off one aerial, which degrades the signal. That said, ASDA will be selling the cheaper unbranded stuff which may actually be complete rubbish

Thats one thing that was drummed into me when I was looking, the really cheap specials in places like Asda just aren't worth the money.

We have our eye on one of these: Sony Bravia KDL-32S3000 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL32S3000-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/B000OQBUC2
(apparently second - best seller)
to finally replace our 14" sony at some point.

We have a Samsung LCD TV. So good we have ordered another one for the kitchen, delivery on Friday. ;)

After doing a lot of 'research' both on-line and in shops we found the Samsung LCD TV's are the same, or higher spec then Sony :rolleyes:

simonali

Guru
Remember that the full HD format is 1080p at 24 frames per second (fps). Any HD or HD Ready TV should accept this signal to be fully future proof (for now!).

Even if the TV you buy is 766 pixels high it should still be able to accept this signal and downscale it to fit. A full HD panel is 1920x1080 pixels and are generally 37" or bigger*, whereas anything smaller than this is usually 1360x766.

*Sharp have just released a full HD 32" TV

Oh and if you're looking for a smaller TV don't buy a 19" one as they use PC monitor panels and they don't display widescreen signals properly due to being the wrong aspect! Get a 20 instead.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
QuickDraw said:
I got a Panasonic Viera 32" for £650 a few months ago. It'll probably be down around £500 in the sales. I'd recommend it.

This is the one that came out top in the Which report recently. I believe Richer Sounds are doing it now for about £550.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Avforums are very easy to use and quite a few discount codes knocking around.

Buying anything smaller than 32" is a waste of time imho. Full HD is miles better than standard def on a CRT (sadly you're going to not get this the vast majority of time you're watching tv). Yes in theory CRTs can have a very big colour range but it is rarely utilized. There are quite a few tvs knocking around at the moment with slightly off full HD res to save money and non-16:9 ratios.

P.S. bad looking picture quality in the shops doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are a lot of settings to fiddle around with on better sets and bog standard electrical staff have been known to cock it up completely or leave defaults on. Hell the installer on my V+ box didn't get high def working and he is paid to do that! Saw a Sky HD caravan where they'd messed it up.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
marinyork said:
Ideally bigger is better and you want a 1080p (full HD) for reasons that will become illuminating over the next few years if your tv lasts half as long as you intend...
Cheers, Marin - how important is the 1080p factor? saw some TVs online and they looked very good spec but on closer examination of the 'list of features' it was only the more higher priced models that had 1080p (full HD-ready) box ticked.

What's your take on it? Dont quite follow what you said above. Cheers.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Smeg my post disappeared and I'm getting tired. When tvs get bigger it becomes a lot more noticeable in terms of resolutions. I have a 14" laptop, can play high def stuff on it, and it looks great. I have a 26" tv that 720p stuff looks great on but beyond that size the benefits of a higher resolution become more noticeable.

Material and uses-
PS3
X-Box 360 (ish, complicated)
Blu-ray/HD DVD. One of these days they'll sort these things out and even release more material and people will buy them.
Use you tv as a monitor sometimes, 1920x1080 mmmmmm!
Digital tv will have high def channels beyond sky(initially 720p but 1080i oneday maybe and beyond?). Freeview will have 3-5 channels when a plan to kick other channels off a multiplex kicks in. Freesat will probably have 5 terestrial HD channels. These will be free and available to a very high percentage of the population if they buy the equipment. Unlike sky HD which has very low figures now.

Hopefully your tv will last a good 5-6 years at least and in that timeframe some of these uses will come to fruition. These would look good on a 720p anyway but 1080p is in now. There are a lot of weird and wacky articles on 1080 but most of the subtleties are good points.

simoncc

I must remember to check out this topic when my TV breaks and I need a new one. Hopefully after 19 trouble free years my trusty Toshiba will keep going for a bit yet.

papercorn2000

Yeah, don't make them like they used to...
We had an old telly which must have been 20 odd years old - we inherited it from my wife's gran! Picture was still superb, unfortunately, it only had a co-axial input so it wouldn't work with any peripherals! Still works if you stick a normal ariel into it.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the extra info, Marinyork.
I hope the new TV lasts a lot longer than 5-6 yrs - my CRT mitsubishi that went pop a few months back lasted about 15 yrs.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
simonali said:
Aah, but in this day and age, it'll probably be out of date by then! We have OLED TVs on the horizon, which use much less power and will be 5-10mm or thinner eventually.

http://www.oled-display.net/sony-xel-1-oled-tv
Gawd, it's never ending! :biggrin: When is there a 'safe' time to buy a TV?!
I bet a rival co. will come up with an alternative technology and they'll battle it out for 10+ years, there'll be a court case and everything!

My kids keep asking me to buy them a PS3. I tell em 'you dont want that, wait for PS4 to come out, it'll be much better' (and so ad infinitum).

simoncc

Hopefully by the time my Toshiba gives out LCD TV's will be dirt cheap just like CRT TV's were before they were phased out. Things are looking that way. I'm not entirely convinced that new style TV's were not just a marketing scam by TV manufacturers eager to make a decent profit instead of selling cheap, long lasting TVs for next to nothing. I've never seen HD televison, but the new style LCD and plasma TVs don't seem to have better picture quality than CRT TVs to me.

Top Bottom