Lea Valley Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Hi Cyclechat members

A friend and I will be cycling from Welwyn along Cole Green Way to Hertford - following the path along the canal all the way through Hertford, Ware, Stansted Abotts, Broxbourne, Cheshunt, Enfield... to Stratford / Olympic park

I believe it's simply following the Lea Valley Cycle lane.

Are there any watch outs / heads up you can give me?
32 miles it works out as, we will be taking the train back to Welwyn Garden City from Stratford.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi Cyclechat members

A friend and I will be cycling from Welwyn along Cole Green Way to Hertford - following the path along the canal all the way through Hertford, Ware, Stansted Abotts, Broxbourne, Cheshunt, Enfield... to Stratford / Olympic park

I believe it's simply following the Lea Valley Cycle lane.

Are there any watch outs / heads up you can give me?
32 miles it works out as, we will be taking the train back to Welwyn Garden City from Stratford.
I only know that path as far as Waltham Abbey coming from the south. From what I remember most of it is simple with quite wide packed gravel tracks. There was a short road section along there, I think, but nothing to worry about. There may be cobbled bits, particularly where there are locks. But nothing that you can't do on 23cm tyres and a good chain cleaning session afterwards. Last time I was up there they were still building the Olympic park so I don't know how you get from the canal to there.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Thanks @deptfordmarmoset I've pretty much done the route to Broxbourne area, will do a little more research before tomorrow.
Excited at the bike ride - personally, I'd quite like to cycle all the way and back in one go but my friend doesn't fancy 62 miles on a MTB haha!

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's a decent day weather wise, being a Sunday too, it'll be busy with peds so speed won't be possible. It's ok on a road bike on 23s but your mate will be quite happy in his MTB

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Well, it's good weather plus a Sunday...

...I've got the bell ready - "DING DING" aka "GET OUT MY WAY"

Will let you know how I get on, hopefully post some nice pics

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
A very fun ride, I followed the tow path all the way to the Olympic Park - barely was on a road the entire way!

Very enjoyable, I would highly recommend!

Top Bottom