Leaking tubeless system - should the bike shop fix it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Perhaps you’ll accept you have no monopoly on the definitions and that there’s no definite definitions for the terms we are discussing. Unless of course you can provide a link to an ISO definition of tubeless ready that matches your belief.
Well he claims I have an "inability to understand simple concepts " (and says he has put me on ignore) for saying the same thing, so I doubt he will :sad:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well he claims I have an "inability to understand simple concepts " (and says he has put me on ignore) for saying the same thing, so I doubt he will :sad:

Yeah for someone who has to ask simple questions about brake cable tension, it does seem weird that they think they have the authoritive answers on tubeless terms.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

He's chairman of the official proper English committee don't you know, so like Humpty Dumpty words mean what he decides they should mean. We'll be arguing what "all wheel drive" means next

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Perhaps you’ll accept you have no monopoly on the definitions and that there’s no definite definitions for the terms we are discussing. Unless of course you can provide a link to an ISO definition of tubeless ready that matches your belief.
Here's what I think happened. It's just a guess ...

Mavic have UST rims that are really tubeless. They call them, justifiably, tubeless. Cos they don't use tubes.
Other people are selling rims that will take tubeless tyres but need first to be bodged with rim tape. They'd love to call them tubeless but they really aren't, so they coin the term tubeless compatible. Which makes sense.
Other people are offering to do the bodging for you by pre-taping the rims. They want to differentiate themselves from bare rims that need bodging, so they coin the term tubeless ready. Sounds much cooler. And makes sense.
Now the people selling bare rims are casting around for a cooler term. They hear tubeless ready being used and think, hey, that's cool. I'll use that. And in the absence of an ISO definition, or anything like that, there's nothing to stop them, and the water becomes muddied.

And now we are where we are.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
and another one on the list. One by one I'll make this forum worth reading (for me)
A modern(ish) take on 'a little list' (3 minutes):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWo_3CIcTBQ

hatler

Guru
To muddy the waters, I would say that a 'tubeless ready wheel' would be one that has a profile that can accept tubeless tyres and has tubeless rim tape applied whereas a 'tubeless ready rim' needs merely to have a profile that can accept tubeless tyres.

However, given the industry's apparent inability to use terminology in either a consistent, or correct manner, I wouldn't buy anything tubeless without first very carefully determining exactly what the words they use mean for any particular product.

(And this is entirely moot for me as I have no current desire to go tubeless.)

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

YellowV2

Veteran
I'm using 45mm WTB Raddler tires on a 23mm WTB rim. Yep same manufacturer for rim and tires, yet they were a right pig to get on.

In my opinion it's been worth the aggro though, since I put them on I've had two years of faultless off-road riding, including several long distance trips. I've noticed stains from sealant on the tires from time to time, so I've had punctures, but the've all sealed with no noticeable loss of pressure.

This is the tape that was originally in the rims:

View attachment 619652

This is with the proper tubeless tape:

View attachment 619654

Visibly there appears to not be much difference, but the original tape wouldn't hold air and yet the green tape will.
The Yellow tape in your first photograph looks like the Stan's tubeless tape I have fitted to my tubeless rims!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To muddy the waters, I would say that a 'tubeless ready wheel' would be one that has a profile that can accept tubeless tyres and has tubeless rim tape applied whereas a 'tubeless ready rim' needs merely to have a profile that can accept tubeless tyres.

However, given the industry's apparent inability to use terminology in either a consistent, or correct manner, I wouldn't buy anything tubeless without first very carefully determining exactly what the words they use mean for any particular product.

(And this is entirely moot for me as I have no current desire to go tubeless.)

To be fair I'd be inclined to agree, albeit the pedantic might expect a valve to be fitted already. I was challenging the earlier poster's pomposity rather than what he was saying which I would tend to agree with.

Top Bottom