Leaking tubeless system - should the bike shop fix it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tripletail52

Got tubeless ready wheels & tyres, so after some thoughts and despite my misgivings I decided to try the tubeless set-up.

Was my first time attempting to set up a tubeless wheel. There were a lot of tips and warnings on seating the tyres using a floor pump, so I expected this to be the most challenging part. I was wrong - the tyres pretty much seated themselves. As far as I could see no leaks around the bead (tested with soapy water all over). However the leak was coming from the valve stem.

I looked this problem up, and wow everyone says this happened to them. I'm surprised I wasn't aware that this was a common problem. From what I've read this is most likely due to rim tape not fully sealing the rims. Now I think if the wheel's leaking without a tube then that's not really tubeless ready. But I also think the bike shop will deny that it's defective since it works with a tube. So I wanted to ask, Is it their responsibility to re-tape the rims?

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

Aaaargh just discovered the rim tape on it is not tubeless rim tape!

Joffey

Big Dosser
You don't really make much sense with regards to the bike shop's liability. Did you buy the wheels and tyres from the shop as tubeless ready and then tried yourself?

If so, and you can't get it to seal I'd advise that you pump them up a few times, shake the wheels and spin them around. Ride them. Then try again.

Or maybe just seek advice from the shop you got them from. Be open about what you have done and I'm sue that they will help you.

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

You don't really make much sense with regards to the bike shop's liability. Did you buy the wheels and tyres from the shop as tubeless ready and then tried yourself?

If so, and you can't get it to seal I'd advise that you pump them up a few times, shake the wheels and spin them around. Ride them. Then try again.

Or maybe just seek advice from the shop you got them from. Be open about what you have done and I'm sue that they will help you.

Sorry my question was stupid.

Basically I bought a bike, it says the wheels are 'tubeless ready' so I assumed that all I need to do is install tubeless valves, seat the tyres, put sealant in and enjoy. I didn't realise that 'tubeless ready' wheels come prepped with non-tubeless rim tape! A bit annoying really.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Don't worry, I've been there to! Unlike you, I couldn't get the tires to seat at all, finally bought a Shwalbe air booster, got the bloomin things on, only to watch them deflate moments later! Luckily I set it all up dry initially just in case of issue like this, so no messy sealant spills to deal with.

I bought a set up kit from Effete Mariposa, so after fitting the correct valves and rim tape it's been an absolute pleasure since. In my view tubeless ready means it will convert, but only once you've splashed out on all the right bits.

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

Don't worry, I've been there to! Unlike you, I couldn't get the tires to seat at all, finally bought a Shwalbe air booster, got the bloomin things on, only to watch them deflate moments later! Luckily I set it all up dry initially just in case of issue like this, so no messy sealant spills to deal with.

I bought a set up kit from Effete Mariposa, so after fitting the correct valves and rim tape it's been an absolute pleasure since. In my view tubeless ready means it will convert, but only once you've splashed out on all the right bits.

What tyres were you using? Mine came fitted with Schwalbe G-One Allround. The same thing you mentioned happens, i.e., it unseats itself when deflated, but then when I pump it up it gets seated again with popping sounds.

Now that I've bought everything except proper rim tape I feel like I'm obliged to convert them to tubeless...but I'm gonna leave it for now and come back another time. My precious Friday evening all wasted trying to seal up tubeless wheels with non-tubeless rim tape!!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm using 45mm WTB Raddler tires on a 23mm WTB rim. Yep same manufacturer for rim and tires, yet they were a right pig to get on.

In my opinion it's been worth the aggro though, since I put them on I've had two years of faultless off-road riding, including several long distance trips. I've noticed stains from sealant on the tires from time to time, so I've had punctures, but the've all sealed with no noticeable loss of pressure.

This is the tape that was originally in the rims:

This is with the proper tubeless tape:

Visibly there appears to not be much difference, but the original tape wouldn't hold air and yet the green tape will.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Aaaargh just discovered the rim tape on it is not tubeless rim tape!
So you cocked it up and immediately sought to point the finger at the LBS before investigating what the issue was. Not nice...

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

So you cocked it up and immediately sought to point the finger at the LBS before investigating what the issue was. Not nice...

If I'd bought 'tubeless ready wheels' I would presume that anything they came with (and that includes rim tape) would be, err, well, ready for tubeless tyres.

I'm saying what hatler is saying.

I bought a bike that says it's got 'tubeless ready' wheels. I didn't cock up anything, just assumed that 'tubeless ready' means it's ready to be used tubeless. So when the valve wouldn't stop leaking I thought something was wrong with the wheels.

Turns out 'tubeless ready' means I have to remove the rim tape that it came with, buy my own tubeless rim tape, and apply it myself. It's like buying headphones which are 'bluetooth ready' and then finding out that I have to buy a separate bluetooth sensor, open up the headphones and install it myself.

No one else finds this a little odd?

Alex321

Veteran
I'm saying what hatler is saying.

I bought a bike that says it's got 'tubeless ready' wheels. I didn't cock up anything, just assumed that 'tubeless ready' means it's ready to be used tubeless. So when the valve wouldn't stop leaking I thought something was wrong with the wheels.

Turns out 'tubeless ready' means I have to remove the rim tape that it came with, buy my own tubeless rim tape, and apply it myself. It's like buying headphones which are 'bluetooth ready' and then finding out that I have to buy a separate bluetooth sensor, open up the headphones and install it myself.

No one else finds this a little odd?
Not at all. And it isn't really similar to your blutooth analogy.

You always need appropriate rim tape to set up tubeless, while you don't need anything additional for a bljetooth device. Whether that might be included when wheels are described as "tubeless ready" is open to question, I certainly wasn't the slightest bit surprised it wasn't.

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

Not at all. And it isn't really similar to your blutooth analogy.

You always need appropriate rim tape to set up tubeless, while you don't need anything additional for a bljetooth device. Whether that might be included when wheels are described as "tubeless ready" is open to question, I certainly wasn't the slightest bit surprised it wasn't.

Well that's just my point. You don't buy a bluetooth ready device expecting you'll have to buy extra stuff and do extra work to make it bluetooth. Or buy a dishwasher ready tupperware that can't be washed in a dishwasher without extra bits. Or buy an electric ready car and realise it doesn't come with a battery. Or a skydive ready parachute that doesn't....

At least DT Swiss seems to agree with me: 'All DT Swiss wheelsets are tubeless compatible and the ASM versions come tubeless ready, equipped with tubeless tape and valves.' Surely my wheels are only tubeless compatible, not tubeless ready. I'm surprised that you weren't surprised to find your tubeless ready wheels not ready for tubeless.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@tripletail52 I very much get the point you make and understand your view. It's not how I understand the term "tubeless ready" which I take to mean the wheels will accept a tubeless tyre.

I would consider rim tape, sealant and valves consumables needed to make the system work. I wouldn't expect these to be supplied with the wheels.

Valves seem to be a common problem at set up. On my both my tubeless bikes the LBS had to source and fit better valves for me.

Top Bottom