Leaking tubeless system - should the bike shop fix it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Well that's just my point. You don't buy a bluetooth ready device expecting you'll have to buy extra stuff and do extra work to make it bluetooth. Or buy a dishwasher ready tupperware that can't be washed in a dishwasher without extra bits. Or buy an electric ready car and realise it doesn't come with a battery. Or a skydive ready parachute that doesn't....

At least DT Swiss seems to agree with me: 'All DT Swiss wheelsets are tubeless compatible and the ASM versions come tubeless ready, equipped with tubeless tape and valves.' Surely my wheels are only tubeless compatible, not tubeless ready. I'm surprised that you weren't surprised to find your tubeless ready wheels not ready for tubeless.
You don' t buy a "bluetooth ready" device, you buy a bluetokth device. And the same with all those other things you list. There was a time when "HD ready" televisions were common, and that always meant you needed an external. HD source.

"x ready" means you need to do something to make it actual rather tban just ready.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Although the original tape wouldn't hold air, it does look like tubeless tape to me.

That was also my problem, like the OP I wasn't entirely clear on what "Tubeless ready" actually meant and seeing the original shiny tape I presumed it might actually be ok. The rush of air from around every spoke after I'd used the air booster soon told me otherwise.

I know some folk reading this will see the faff and confusion around setting up tubeless as reason to not convert, but having had 18 months of not changing tubes trailside in the cold and wet, it's well worth the hassle.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I won't keep banging on the same point I've already made several times about what tubeless ready means.

However I did some research and a lot of manufacturers do provide tubeless ready wheels with tubeless tape.

'Fulcrum®’s “Tubeless Ready” products are ready for this changeover, with tape already in place.'

'ASM versions come tubeless ready, equipped with tubeless tape and valves.' (DT Swiss)

'Included | Tubeless tape & valves, spare spokes, axle adapters' (Hunt)

'Tubeless compatible (Valve and Tape supplied)' (Hope)

'Includes Bontrager TLR rim strip, TLR valve stem, internal cam quick release' (Bontrager)

Alex321

Veteran
I won't keep banging on the same point I've already made several times about what tubeless ready means.

However I did some research and a lot of manufacturers do provide tubeless ready wheels with tubeless tape.

'Fulcrum®’s “Tubeless Ready” products are ready for this changeover, with tape already in place.'

'ASM versions come tubeless ready, equipped with tubeless tape and valves.' (DT Swiss)

'Included | Tubeless tape & valves, spare spokes, axle adapters' (Hunt)

'Tubeless compatible (Valve and Tape supplied)' (Hope)

'Includes Bontrager TLR rim strip, TLR valve stem, internal cam quick release' (Bontrager)
Some manufacturers certainly do. But if it were normally expected, they wouldn't be making a point of it in their advertising.

Well that's just my point. You don't buy a bluetooth ready device expecting you'll have to buy extra stuff and do extra work to make it bluetooth. Or buy a dishwasher ready tupperware that can't be washed in a dishwasher without extra bits. Or buy an electric ready car and realise it doesn't come with a battery. Or a skydive ready parachute that doesn't....

At least DT Swiss seems to agree with me: 'All DT Swiss wheelsets are tubeless compatible and the ASM versions come tubeless ready, equipped with tubeless tape and valves.' Surely my wheels are only tubeless compatible, not tubeless ready. I'm surprised that you weren't surprised to find your tubeless ready wheels not ready for tubeless.

I'm confused too. Just bought some Hunt wheels and I THINK they have tubeless rimtape. But now I'm not so sure ?

boydj

Legendary Member
Although the original tape wouldn't hold air, it does look like tubeless tape to me.

That was my thought too. However, it is immediately compromised by the use of a tube and the hole required for the valve. At the very least this would need either an additional wrap of tape or extra care taken to seal the valve properly. The best answer, though, is to replace the tape if the wheel is to be used tubeless.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm confused too. Just bought some Hunt wheels and I THINK they have tubeless rimtape. But now I'm not so sure ?

I have Hunt wheels which came fitted with tubeless tyres already set up tubeless. I'm pretty sure that they will have provided tubeless rim tape, but if you want to go tubeless, then check how the valve hole has been made.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just by the by I did my second ever mount of a tubeless tyre this weekend.

The first was a long messy faffy swearing session, so I was prepared for a frustrating experience. However it went as smoothly as one of those smug gits on YouTube. Pop pop, sealant in, valve in, done.

Unfortunately I forgot to line the maker's name up with the valve. No I'm not going to take it off and re-fit it but it is going to annoy me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Just by the by I did my second ever mount of a tubeless tyre this weekend.

The first was a long messy faffy swearing session, so I was prepared for a frustrating experience. However it went as smoothly as one of those smug gits on YouTube. Pop pop, sealant in, valve in, done.

Unfortunately I forgot to line the maker's name up with the valve. No I'm not going to take it off and re-fit it but it is going to annoy me.

I don't quite get this :huh: Is there a practical reason for doing it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't quite get this :huh: Is there a practical reason for doing it?
If you're using tubes, yes. To help you line up a punctured tube with the tyre to help locate the pointy thing. That's the theory. Although, I don't recall ever actually doing that because when I remove a tube I normally leave the tyre in place on the rim.

With tubeless, no, not really.

But it'll still annoy me.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm using 45mm WTB Raddler tires on a 23mm WTB rim. Yep same manufacturer for rim and tires, yet they were a right pig to get on.

In my opinion it's been worth the aggro though, since I put them on I've had two years of faultless off-road riding, including several long distance trips. I've noticed stains from sealant on the tires from time to time, so I've had punctures, but the've all sealed with no noticeable loss of pressure.

This is the tape that was originally in the rims:

View attachment 619652

This is with the proper tubeless tape:

View attachment 619654

Visibly there appears to not be much difference, but the original tape wouldn't hold air and yet the green tape will.

The yellow tape looks like Stans tubeless tape. It certainly works if two wraps done properly. The valve hole shouldn’t matter as you need that with tubes or tubeless. You can get different tubeless valves, I find those with the rectangular rubber seal better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tubeless ready rims have holes in them for easy access to the spoke nipples and assembly. They therefore need a airtight rim tape to be applied. If you don’t want to go through that then you want tubeless rims. Similar difference between tubeless ready tyres and tubeless tyres. The former isn’t airtight the latter is.

The above easily found out via a quick search , sorry I meant research

Top Bottom