Leaking tubeless system - should the bike shop fix it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Ahh, the wheels came on a bike. None of the "tubeless ready" wheels that have come on a bike I've bought have come with tubeless tape or valves (including on bikes that have come with slightly higher end wheels than yours). I've always had to purchase those separately. You are laying the fault with your LBS unfairly (although that has already been established).

(Sigh..) I'm not blaming the bike shop. When I posted the original post, I thought the tape was 'obviously' tubeless tape, so I thought they must have been applied incorrectly since everything else was fine. If this were the problem, the bike shop would indeed have been liable to put it right.

rivers

How far can I go?
(Sigh..) I'm not blaming the bike shop. When I posted the original post, I thought the tape was 'obviously' tubeless tape, so I thought they must have been applied incorrectly since everything else was fine. If this were the problem, the bike shop would indeed have been liable to put it right.
I could be wrong on this, but I would think the wheels would come fully assembled and ready to go from the manufacturer, and the bike shop had nothing to do with installing the rim tape. Basically you didn't double check with the bike shop/anyone who might have the appropriate information as to whether the rim tape was tubeless ready. You set up your wheels, made a big mess with sealant, and looked to blame someone for your own shortcomings. When I bought my first bike with tubeless ready wheels, I asked my shop what I needed to do/buy to run them tubeless. Then I purchased said items and never had any issues.

Reactions: C R
Ahh, the wheels came on a bike. None of the "tubeless ready" wheels that have come on a bike I've bought have come with tubeless tape or valves

My Giant TCR came with tubeless ready wheels and came set up directly tubeless.

I also bought a pair of 2nd hand Giant pr2 wheelset that the seller took off of a Giant trinity. They also are marked "tubeless ready" and came with tubeless tape (but not valve). Actually, more than a tape, it's a hard plastic shell that covers and seals everything.

rivers

How far can I go?
My Giant TCR came with tubeless ready wheels and came set up directly tubeless.

I also bought a pair of 2nd hand Giant pr2 wheelset that the seller took off of a Giant trinity. They also are marked "tubeless ready" and came with tubeless tape (but not valve). Actually, more than a tape, it's a hard plastic shell that covers and seals everything.

But the TCR is also advertised as coming tubeless. As is the Trinity I believe.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I could be wrong on this, but I would think the wheels would come fully assembled and ready to go from the manufacturer, and the bike shop had nothing to do with installing the rim tape. Basically you didn't double check with the bike shop/anyone who might have the appropriate information as to whether the rim tape was tubeless ready. You set up your wheels, made a big mess with sealant, and looked to blame someone for your own shortcomings. When I bought my first bike with tubeless ready wheels, I asked my shop what I needed to do/buy to run them tubeless. Then I purchased said items and never had any issues.

Yes, the bike shop has nothing to do with installing the rim tape. However, if the rim tape was defective they would still be responsible for fixing it as the retailer, which I thought was the case. And if you read my original post, I didn't even blame them, I simply asked if my train of thought (based on the assumption that the tape on it was tubeless tape) was correct. So I don't know where your criticism is coming from.

And again if you read my posts, my whole point is that it's not my 'shortcomings' that so-called tubeless ready wheels are not ready for tubeless. There's an issue with standardisation of these terms which is causing confusion to lots of people. Why would that be my shortcomings?

Also clearly it's in our (cyclists', consumers') interest to promote the provision of tubeless tape with tubeless ready wheels as many brands are already doing. So I'm not quite getting the intentions of those who want to blame consumers for thinking that tubeless ready wheels would be ready for tubeless.

But the TCR is also advertised as coming tubeless. As is the Trinity I believe.
Not the point. You said none of the "tubeless ready" wheels of that came with your bikes came with tubeless tape of valve. To which I said that I bought 2 stock wheelsets, both of which came with tubeless rim tape and one even came with tubeless valve.

Alex321

Veteran
None of the above. It's a Cube bike and the wheels are branded Cube but made by Alexrims. I have emailed them about it. Will give an update once I hear back from them.
That is what I have as well. Cube Attain GTC Race with rebranded Alexrims, officially called CUBE RA 1.9 Aero Disc.
https://archiv.cube.eu/en/2021/477200

Mine didn't specifically say Tubeless compatible or ready, but they are, after removing the Schwalbe rim tape already present. I fitted Hutchison fusion 5 performance 11storm tyres.

Rear tyre is working fine, front was until it picked up a gash to big for sealant to cope with.

Alex321

Veteran
Not the point. You said none of the "tubeless ready" wheels of that came with your bikes came with tubeless tape of valve. To which I said that I bought 2 stock wheelsets, both of which came with tubeless rim tape and one even came with tubeless valve.
Yes, but the point with the Giant ones is that they aren't sold as "tubeless ready", they are sold as "tubeless". They are already fully set up tubeless, including rim tape, valves and sealant.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just took a look at the description of my wheels on thecycleclinic's website. It says "... They are supplied tubeless ready with tubeless tape, ... " and they were. Don't know if that's in the least bit interesting.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

That is what I have as well. Cube Attain GTC Race with rebranded Alexrims, officially called CUBE RA 1.9 Aero Disc.
https://archiv.cube.eu/en/2021/477200

Mine didn't specifically say Tubeless compatible or ready, but they are, after removing the Schwalbe rim tape already present. I fitted Hutchison fusion 5 performance 11storm tyres.

Rear tyre is working fine, front was until it picked up a gash to big for sealant to cope with.

Mine's a 2022 SL Road Race, which does say that it's tubeless ready and comes with tubeless tyres.

You are right about Giant.

'Our complete system of wheels, tires, valves and sealant eliminates the hassle and question of “Tubeless Ready” or “Tubeless Compatible”, by simplifying set-up and guaranteeing compatibility.'

Hopefully more companies will take this approach in future.

I will wait for Cube's reply, however. You and I have the same wheels, they are both tubeless compatible (i.e., can be made tubeless) but yours weren't described as tubeless ready whereas mine were. So let's see what they have to say.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your next issue is that at 28mm tyres you are about on the cusp of where running a tubeless set-up is just about viable.

I'm expecting a 49 page thread when the high pressure blows sealant all over your arse...

For a road bike I wouldn't bother, there isn't enough perceived benefit to outweigh the drawbacks.

Alex321

Veteran
Your next issue is that at 28mm tyres you are about on the cusp of where running a tubeless set-up is just about viable.

I'm expecting a 49 page thread when the high pressure blows sealant all over your arse...

For a road bike I wouldn't bother, there isn't enough perceived benefit to outweigh the drawbacks.
That is what somebody (it might even have been you) said when I asked here if anybody knew whether my wheels were tubeless compatible.

And 28mm is definitely viable, but of course "perceived benefit" is in the eye of the beholder.

You obviously don't perceive all that much. I do, probably partly because part of my use of the bike is for commuting. And yes, the pressure will be much higher than in wide MTB tyres, but still a fair bit less than you would probably put in tubed 28mm tyres.

Yes, but the point with the Giant ones is that they aren't sold as "tubeless ready", they are sold as "tubeless". They are already fully set up tubeless, including rim tape, valves and sealant.

I didn't say what they are sold as, I said what is written on the rim. So, regardless of how I want to use it and how they are set up, if I read on a rim "tubeless ready" I expect the rim to have tubeless tape. Which is the point of this whole thread and the misunderstanding of tubeless ready/tubeless compatible.

Top Bottom