Leaking tubeless system - should the bike shop fix it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recent experience: I got in touch with the customer service of a bike manufacturer to ask a few questions about the stock wheels on one of my bikes. Among other things I decided to 'test the waters' and ask about tubeless. I already knew my wheels are tubeless compatible, meaning I need to apply tubeless rim tape to make them tubeless ready.

Me: "can you confirm that the wheels on my bike are tubeless compatible?"
Customer service guy: "yes, I can confirm that your wheels are tubeless ready"

So, even industry people erroneously think ready and compatible mean the same thing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Recent experience: I got in touch with the customer service of a bike manufacturer to ask a few questions about the stock wheels on one of my bikes. Among other things I decided to 'test the waters' and ask about tubeless. I already knew my wheels are tubeless compatible, meaning I need to apply tubeless rim tape to make them tubeless ready.

Me: "can you confirm that the wheels on my bike are tubeless compatible?"
Customer service guy: "yes, I can confirm that your wheels are tubeless ready"

So, even industry people erroneously think ready and compatible mean the same thing.

Tubeless ready just means the rim has the correct hook profile for tubeless tyres. It says nothing about whether airtight rim tape has been applied. Indeed you’ve demonstrated you don’t know what the term tubeless ready is meant to mean.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tubeless ready just means the rim has the correct hook profile for tubeless tyres. It says nothing about whether airtight rim tape has been applied. Indeed you’ve demonstrated you don’t know what the term tubeless ready is meant to mean.
See up thread where I dug out definitions of TR as meaning a Tubeless Compatible rim with tape. These are not wrong. But they are not necessarily right either.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/l...e-bike-shop-fix-it.281587/page-3#post-6600470

My point being that there is no one accepted definition. There is no authority to refer to. Some people consider it to mean one thing, others think it means another.

Last edited:
Here you go. You're wrong, but again you're just one of the many people who are not familiar with the right terminology. As I just demonstrated, it's not just common people like you, even folks in the bike industry get it wrong and by using the wrong terminology they contribute to the situation.

Tubeless compatible = rim has the correct hook profile for tubeless tyres, but you need to put tubeless rim tape.

Tubeless ready = rim has the correct hook profile for tubeless tyres and also already has tubeless tape or in some cases the rim is sealed so you don't need to apply any tubeless tape at all.

Again, not your fault. Lots of people are using the wrong terminology. Hopefully you got it now.

It's like, people should really understand the concept of "readiness".

It's like, when your partner says hey dinner is ready, it means you're good to go, you're ready to eat your dinner. It doesn't mean yeah dinner is potentially ready, you just need to cook it first.

It's a simple concept to understand :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

It's like, when your partner says hey dinner is ready, it means you're good to go, you're ready to eat your dinner. It doesn't mean yeah dinner is potentially ready, you just need to cook it first.

Funnily enough my wife said to me this evening "the contents of the fridge are dinner-compatible" ;)

Alex321

Veteran
Here you go. You're wrong, but again you're just one of the many people who are not familiar with the right terminology. As I just demonstrated, it's not just common people like you, even folks in the bike industry get it wrong and by using the wrong terminology they contribute to the situation.

Tubeless compatible = rim has the correct hook profile for tubeless tyres, but you need to put tubeless rim tape.

Tubeless ready = rim has the correct hook profile for tubeless tyres and also already has tubeless tape or in some cases the rim is sealed so you don't need to apply any tubeless tape at all.

Again, not your fault. Lots of people are using the wrong terminology. Hopefully you got it now.
And he was no more "wrong" than you are.

Those definitions you gave, while perfectly valid for you, are not by any means universally recognised. The English language is imprecise, and there is no full definition in any standards document I am aware of which determines what those two terms mean, or whether there is really any meaningful distinction between them.

Alex321

Veteran

Just like all those TVVs sold a few years ago as "HD Ready", It didn't mean they could pick up HD broadcasts when those were available. It meant that with an external device which could plug into them with an HD cable, they could display the HD coming from that device.

Presumably, you wouldn't have accepted that as valid either?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

2399F4BD-132C-4EE7-B32A-0C62F5225CA5.jpeg

Yes, good stuff, thanks. Keep sharing links where they get it wrong.

We'll rectify the mistake, help people understand simple concepts and teach them the right terminology one website at the time.

Alex321

Veteran
The one thing I don't accept is the inability to understand simple concepts, which you are proving time and time again. Which is why I'm putting you on my ignore list. Bye bye.
Perthaps you could do me the favour of indicating even one place where3 I have remotely shown any such thing?

But n9o, much easier to ignore somebody than actually engage in debate :sad:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Perthaps you could do me the favour of indicating even one place where3 I have remotely shown any such thing?
But n9o, much easier to ignore somebody than actually engage in debate :sad:
In case fwc has you on ignore, Alex.
Edit: "teach them the right terminology one website at the time" - I think this suggests @fair weather cyclist 's "inability to understand simple concepts" of the internet.
Can't you agree to disagree? Noone has a monopoly of 'right' on these kind of industry produced terms.
Anyway 'compatible' has too many symbols and breaks the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level Readability index.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, good stuff, thanks. Keep sharing links where they get it wrong.

We'll rectify the mistake, help people understand simple concepts and teach them the right terminology one website at the time.

Perhaps you’ll accept you have no monopoly on the definitions and that there’s no definite definitions for the terms we are discussing. Unless of course you can provide a link to an ISO definition of tubeless ready that matches your belief.

Top Bottom