Leaning shed problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5337542, member: 43827"]Most struts are 1.25" sq but I braced the end walls with 2X2 softwood and strengthened the roof with three full length 4X2 beams many years ago as I knew that I would occasionally need to stand on the roof to trim the boundary trees.[/QUOTE]
Ah, therein may lie your problem.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can get two tonne Chinese scissors car jacks for about a fiver on eBay. Brace the jack with a length of two by four against a solid object....and listen to the shed start creaking. Hydraulic jacks tend not to work at weird angles, BTW.

Slick

Guru
P
[QUOTE 5337558, member: 43827"]The added struts or the standing on the roof? Or both?[/QUOTE]
Standing on the roof. A live load like that over a period of time would put a fair bit of stress on reasonably light timber. I still reckon a ratchet strap and then bracing the walls as well as plan bracing the roof would do the job.

MikeG

Guru
32mm square is too small a section to be attempting to pull this thing back into shape in one place. You'll just break the frame at the end of the brace.

You could try this:

-Screw a 4x2 across the outside bottom of one end of the shed such that it protrudes 6 inches or so either side of the building. Screw another one at the opposite end of the shed at the top. These will act as load spreaders. Then place a ratchet strap on both diagonals, and tighten in unison. Pull the building ever-so-slightly past true, because it will want to relax back towards its previous racked position, then fix it internally either with 4x1 diagonal bracing (think carefully about the door), or internal sheathing board (ply or OSB). Then release the ratchet straps.

BTW, if this does cause the roof to leak, replace the felt with EPDM and never worry about the roof again. It is a simple DIY job and cheap.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5337558, member: 43827"]The added struts or the standing on the roof? Or both?[/QUOTE]
Neither.
Proximity of tree roots seems a more likely candidate.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Personally I'd approach it like this :smile:

michael-jackson-smooth.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm going with C4 !

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Put a 4 x 2 on the diagonal and use folding wedges to square it up . Then repair the leaky roof :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
A 20mm layer of cork under the insole of your left shoe would do the trick
[QUOTE 5337983, member: 43827"]That is a stupid solution. It would have to be the right shoe or it would lean even more.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't that depend on which way you were going? It'd correct it one way.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
[QUOTE 5338088, member: 43827"]I only look at it from one direction, while sitting on the patio, as it is too close to the boundary to stand back and look at it from the other side.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that puts a different perspective on things. Try a few beermats under the chair legs.

Top Bottom