Leapfroggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've met a couple of leapfroggers this week. Y'know what I mean. You're out on a ride, doing your own pace, and overtake a cyclist with a cheery 'Alright mate?', next thing they bomb past you, grim-faced, only to slow back down, so you have to pass them again.

Rinse & repeat.

They probably felt they had to teach me a lesson. But both times I was on a flat-out short ride, and had no intention of throwing down the gauntlet to other cyclists, who for all I know may have been on a gentle recovery spin or a century ride.

So, what's the deal with guys like that? Ego out of control or what?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I often meet a pair of lads who do that. I just thought that they couldn't bear to be overtaken by a woman.

D

Deleted member 1258

let them in front, get on their back wheel, if they wanna go first im more than happy to mop up some energy saving cut air

Sit on their back wheel and talk to them if you can, it'll confuse the hell out of them.

Herbie

Veteran
let them in front, get on their back wheel, if they wanna go first im more than happy to mop up some energy saving cut air

That's what I like to do in....in fact it happened twice to me today...one guy bombed past me and I easily got on his back wheel he kept looking over his shoulder looking a bit agitated....eventually he singled that he was pulling in looking a bit knackered....I said how you doing when I went past and had a wee chuckle to myself ^_^

sidevalve

Über Member
If you notice you get the same sort of muppets on the motorway. Race past then slow down so you end up overtaking them, then the same again. Just proves wierdness is not confined to any one method of transport

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
If you notice you get the same sort of muppets on the motorway. Race past then slow down so you end up overtaking them, then the same again. Just proves wierdness is not confined to any one method of transport

I remember driving on a motorway at night in cruise control at 70mph. We kept passing and repassing this woman to the point where she gave me the finger. But our speed was constant. Odd!

thefollen

Veteran
All good fun I say. Although I'll only overtake if certain I can do so convincingly and hold it, it's nice to have someone slightly faster in front to chase. Get overtaken now and again, no ego about it - if they're a lower FCN I'd expect it. If they're higher however I'll think 'good cycling legs mate!'. If I sense an overtake I'll make them work for it with a wry smile ;-)

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
That's what I like to do in....in fact it happened twice to me today...one guy bombed past me and I easily got on his back wheel he kept looking over his shoulder looking a bit agitated....eventually he singled that he was pulling in looking a bit knackered....I said how you doing when I went past and had a wee chuckle to myself ^_^

You sound like a leapfrogger! Why did you see his overtake as an invitation to race?

Top Bottom