Leapfroggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If they are going all out to pass you and then slow down, next time you pass them, make sure they stay passed ie put a great deal of distance between you and them. Simples. :hello:

If they are going all out to pass you and then slow down, next time you pass them, make sure they stay passed ie put a great deal of distance between you and them. Simples. :hello:

And only 'retake' them on the uphill* bits. That's my therapy..ride them hard uphill - 'losing' downhill gives that hollow victory, because there is invariably another uphill to follow...Can't be bothered mostly..interferes with my contemplation.

* OK - slopes, not mountains.

MarkF

Guru
Reverse......... I was climbing a mountain in Cantabria last June, I'd set off maybe 6 hours before from Bilbao, it was hard, hot and I was shagged. An old guy 65+, overtook me on a rickety old town bike, worse, he had plastic crate on the back rack full of vegetables. I couldn't respond. :sad:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Not quite the same thing, but many years ago, my mate and I were out for the day and a woman overtook us as though we were standing still, We accepted the challenge and sprinted after her and overtook her in fine style, only to find that she had tucked in behind us. try as we might we couldn't shake her off. after a few miles we started climbing a long drag and were almost immediately overtaken again and all we could do was to watch this woman vanish into the distance. We found out later that her name was Beryl Burton :blush:

Great! Probably on a training run as well :laugh:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I normally go along at a nice pace, and don't see many cyclists going my way.
When someone passes me I like to push to see if I can keep up with the pace and see how much my fitness may have improved.

If I can keep up, great, if they cannot keep the pace and slow down then I will go past and drop them (push hard until they are far behind).

It gives me an incentive to try harder than if I was just out for a ride on my own, and it gives me the pleasure to see them constantly looking behind to see if the fat bloke is still there on his hybrid, any overtake is just icing or cherry on the cake.

Of course, there are also those that just leave you standing.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe they were out on an interval ride and you only got past them in the 1st place because they were on a rest phase! It's possible.

snorri

Legendary Member
I caught up with a bunch of "club" cyclists once, I know they were in a club they were all dressed in matching lycra gear. Anyway, they were obviously taking a rest going slowly up hill and as i had just recently taken on cake it seemed better to just maintain my speed and overtake them rather than slow down and follow. I had on two panniers, I doubt if they were carrying enought to fill a pannier between the lot of them. Never thought anything of it until a mile or so on they caught up with me and half of them passed me, the rest stayed behind, they were around me like a swarm of bees, not overtaking not falling back, not speaking.
Is this something club cyclists do?

Top Bottom