Learned something about climbing today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went up The Struggle this morning. 32 minutes, is that respectable?

Those who have climbed it will know that it's a climb of two halves. The first half was awful because my hands were squirming around on the hoods in my sweaty mitts and I just felt all wrong. I was wondering if I would manage the crux of the climb through the zig zags up to the Kirkstone Inn so I decided to stop and remove the mitts. To my amazement, being able to grip the hoods more securely put me in a more upright position, allowing me to climb with straighter legs like on a stair climbing machine. The difference to climbing efficiency was remarkable and the last few hairpins, two of them at over 20%, seemed much more bearable.

Gawd knows how people manage to do the Fred Whitton though; after just one Lakes climb I feel like I've ridden a TT.

The road from the pass down to Bowness was horribly rough for the first half, terrible worn-out top-dressing, which made my hands ache with gripping the bars. My plan to finish with a trip over Windermere on the Hawkshead ferry then round to Ambleside was thwarted though because yesterday the ferry caught fire and it's now out of action, probably for a good few weeks.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Many kudos to you @Globalti!
I walked down the Struggle, after walking up most of the Kirkstone pass.
The descent was needing to much concentration in my tired state, I'm scared of steep, twisty downhills.

IBarrett

Über Member
Hmm, interesting to read your thoughts on gripping the hoods when out of the saddle. I have really loose hands and throw the bike about so I’ll have to try your method and see if it’s better.

KenDave

Regular
I went up The Struggle this morning. 32 minutes, is that respectable?
Well, on Strava, 7459 people have recorded a time, the fastest being Rohan Dennis during the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago in 13:05. :ohmy:
Your time would put you in around 5500th place.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm just impressed by anyone who can get up the damn thing so well done @Globalti

Re Windermere Ferry: the radio up here yesterday said that alternative arrangements had been put in place for pedestrians and cyclists - not sure what these are though. Maybe a small motor boat?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes one of the smaller cruisers is running a service from Bowness Bay to the Hawkshead jetty.

Has anybody ever cycled up the west shore of Windermere from the ferry ramp to Brathay and Ambleside? What's the surface like?

Last edited:

Too Tyred

Completely different to how I climb, I usually get off and push.. naw jokes!

Hands are only on hoods when out of the saddle, even then I may go on the drops if I'm feeling good. When I sit down I bring them a lot more central and sit right up, unless I'm not in a rhythm and messing with gears then I'm on the hoods. Different techniques suit different people, just look at the pro-tour. If there was a 'best' way then every rider would climb that way for marginal gains.

However, I don't think I've ever tackled a hill so long? All have been fairly short and sharp.

Top Bottom