Learning to ride at 30 months

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mister Paul, 7 Oct 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Our boy is 2 and a half. we bought him an Islabikes rothan for his birthday. After 3 weekends, he's already lifting his feet off the ground. Yesterday he 'cycled' three miles on it, and wanted to go further. I had trouble keeping up with him on foot.

These should be compulsory for all toddlers-

You might have to click on it again later. I've only just put it up.

2. longers

longers Veteran

Video not ready yet.:biggrin:

3. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

It's working now.

4. longers

longers Veteran

Good effort. :biggrin: That looks like great bit of kit and a fantastic idea for learning to balance on two wheels.
    Are they dear? How long will it last him before he grows out of it or wants a bike with peddles?

5. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

They're £75. It sounds steep, but it's cheaper than the overpriced wooden versions (unless you ever got one of the £10 Lidl ones), and it was the only one that went low enough for him to sit on at his second birthday.

It'll last him a while I imagine. He's not even big enough yet to pedal his trike. That's the next step -getting him used to pedalling without also having to concentrate on balancing at the same time. Then he'll move onto his older brother's little Decathlon 2-wheeler (he's still also a few inches off fitting that), with the stablisers on to learn the brakes and for longer journeys, and off to put the three together.

A lot of people are anti stabliliser, but we find that they have a use. Pedalling on 2 wheels is tiring when you're learning, and with our older boy we'd stick the stabilisers back on when we were out and he was tired, and he could comfortably carry on faster and further.

And once he's finished with the Rothan, we'll pass it on to one of his friends. It's aluminium and very well made. Our wooden Lidl one is making its way around the older boy's friends. Some of them are learning at 5.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/rothan.html

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Mister Paul, that is ace, you've just made an old cynic go dewy eyed, what you do ? Just remove the pedals ? Must admit it sounds the best way to teach a bairn to balance a bike, and at 2 1/2 yrs. You must be one proud Mo' Fo' !!!
    Well done.

7. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

The bike doesn't have pedals. Have a look at the link and you'll see.

You could take the pedals off a normal bike and get them to learn that way, but you'll struggle to find a 2-wheeler this small.

8. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

30Months???????

He's better than me :biggrin::biggrin:

Lovely vid :biggrin:

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

If you still have it in 2 years, bear me in mind...:biggrin: Although I think my sister is sold on the idea of a Likeabike, and I have to admit, that would be my choice, dosh permitting, just out of an old fashioned love of wooden toys...

Saw a little lad out on a Likeabike on Saturday, with his Grandad - he was at about the same stage, managing a few longish freewheels. Made me go all dewy eyed too.

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

:biggrin::angry::biggrin::biggrin::evil::biggrin::biggrin::angry::biggrin:

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

is that a chav passing mid way through the video or was that you?

12. cyclebum

cyclebum Senior Member

Oh dear, watch out Longers:smile::biggrin:

13. hambones

hambones Well-Known Member

Very cute vid.

Took me back to my youngest boy who, inspired by watching his older brother, insisted his stabilisers came off at 30 months. He nailed the balance and pedalling within 20 minutes. Now he's 4 and doing jumps, no-hands and standing on the saddle (that trick makes me particularly nervous!)

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (Must remember to click links before posting in threads) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

15. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

It can't have been me, as I was holding the phone. I don't have Mr Tickle arms, silly.

No, that was the other boy on his Islabike. He was showing me that he can also balance with his legs out, in the hope of getting in on the clip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice