Learning to ride at 30 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Video not ready yet.:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Good effort. :biggrin: That looks like great bit of kit and a fantastic idea for learning to balance on two wheels.
Are they dear? How long will it last him before he grows out of it or wants a bike with peddles?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Our boy is 2 and a half. we bought him an Islabikes rothan for his birthday. After 3 weekends, he's already lifting his feet off the ground. Yesterday he 'cycled' three miles on it, and wanted to go further. I had trouble keeping up with him on foot.

These should be compulsory for all toddlers-

You might have to click on it again later. I've only just put it up.

User, that is ace, you've just made an old cynic go dewy eyed, what you do ? Just remove the pedals ? Must admit it sounds the best way to teach a bairn to balance a bike, and at 2 1/2 yrs. You must be one proud Mo' Fo' !!!
Well done.

Arch

Married to Night Train
And once he's finished with the Rothan, we'll pass it on to one of his friends. It's aluminium and very well made. Our wooden Lidl one is making its way around the older boy's friends. Some of them are learning at 5.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/rothan.html

If you still have it in 2 years, bear me in mind...:biggrin: Although I think my sister is sold on the idea of a Likeabike, and I have to admit, that would be my choice, dosh permitting, just out of an old fashioned love of wooden toys...

Saw a little lad out on a Likeabike on Saturday, with his Grandad - he was at about the same stage, managing a few longish freewheels. Made me go all dewy eyed too.

bonj2

longers said:
Good effort. :tongue: That looks like great bit of kit and a fantastic idea for learning to balance on two wheels.
Are they dear? How long will it last him before he grows out of it or wants a bike with peddles?

:biggrin::angry::biggrin::biggrin::evil::biggrin::biggrin::angry::biggrin:

cyclebum

Oh dear, watch out Longers:smile::biggrin:

hambones

Very cute vid.

Took me back to my youngest boy who, inspired by watching his older brother, insisted his stabilisers came off at 30 months. He nailed the balance and pedalling within 20 minutes. Now he's 4 and doing jumps, no-hands and standing on the saddle (that trick makes me particularly nervous!)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
The bike doesn't have pedals. Have a look at the link and you'll see.

You could take the pedals off a normal bike and get them to learn that way, but you'll struggle to find a 2-wheeler this small.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (Must remember to click links before posting in threads) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
It can't have been me, as I was holding the phone. I don't have Mr Tickle arms, silly.

Would be funny if you did though. But we'd have heard the 'tickling riff' on the vid if you had...:biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Great video, It's been discussed quite a few times on forums about how to teach kids how to ride. This always came up as the best and easiest way to teaching youngsters how to balance.:biggrin:

Blonde

Elmer Fudd said:
User, that is ace, you've just made an old cynic go dewy eyed
Well done.

Me too. Mind you,even fluffy bunnies and flowers make me dewy eyed at certain times of the month. :biggrin:

Those bikes seem a really good idea to me. 'Scooting' seems to be a best way to learn balance, before any complicated pedalling or braking and even more complicated gears, come into it. I think I learned without stabilisers like that, only on a bike with pedals - with my Dad running and pushing me. It took my sister a lot longer then me to learn to ride, using stabilisers. I think she ended up relying on them too much rather than finding her own balance. It took her years until she was confident without them.

Top Bottom