Least practical Brompton ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What's the story on the bike Chris?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You're bloody certifiable. That is the maddest bike I've ever seen, let alone the maddest Brompton.
That's gone so far away from everything a Brompton ought to be.
*wants*

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
What's the story on the bike Chris?
Chain fell off half a dozen times, rode most of it with an unnoticed rear flat... the combination of the riding position and the Strozapretti tyre made the last one possible... list of things to be done to fix... move rear brake bridge so that the Delta doesnt need the ez wheels up on that bracket, build a freewheel system that goes down to a 9T top gear so i can ditch the monster chainring for a 61/46 front pair and move the chainline in too, redo the aux tensioner setup for folding, which will allow me to fit standard Athena cups in the bottom bracket rather than the Olympus ones, telescopic seatpost to allow clearance on the Delta when it is repositioned, build more robust handlebar quick release mechanism, possibly find some wider handlebars too.... she is an absolute hoot to ride when she is working right, but the riding position is time-trial radical, so i might swap out the M stem for a S...

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
It folds, the swivels allow it to sort of concertina up the stem , you end up with a brake lever on the floor.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
FB_IMG_1532868706218.jpg

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Oh and Deltas are not bad brakes. They are unlike anything else ever made though and a complete pain to get a cable into, plus if you mess up you've just wrecked an inner and have to start again. The Powergrade levers have so much extra stuff in them that there isnt much space left to get a decent nipple locator in there so they fall out if you don't keep them under tension... it's a combination of the caliper release being on the lever rather than the caliper, the aero/non-aero routing options and the Powergrade adjustable pivots that compensate for the long cable-pull requirement the Delta has... took hours to locate the cables properly, scrapped a few inners doing the back brake, did the front with the first inner but it took two hours to get it to thread through the caliper whilst staying in the lever. I can see why the engineers hated them so much no matter what the riders thought, it's a dog of a job and there are no shortcuts... and when they're set up they are weird, a fair pull on the lever for not much if any braking, loud squealing noise, then a very powerful brake over not much lever travel... they work and work well, with those slicks on dry tarmac it's nearly put me over the bars, but you can feel it all... but it it isn't like any other brake I've evwr used

Top Bottom