Least practical Brompton ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I like the faux-Bianchi paint and decal.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
She's off to a frame doctor to get the brake bridge moved on Tuesday. Ive managed to get hold of an old Moulton 7 speed freewheel that goes down to a 9t so am looking at reconditioning that as it solves the issues that the big chainring bring and i can go back down to a 61-46 combo on the front. Ive ordered a set of Tern Andros clamps for the handlebars which should sort out the issues there. Will be swapping the seatpost out for a Kuosac lower and clamp with a Campagnolo upper, and will have to sort out a mod to the lower stop disc as the Delta will be going through that area when folded.

Are those Croce d'aune version of the delta brakes? Did your brakes end up with the obligatory washer marks on the mounting surfaces? Nice Brompton by the way!

Attachments

• IMG_20181219_204012.jpg
    IMG_20181219_204012.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Are those Croce d'aune version of the delta brakes? Did your brakes end up with the obligatory washer marks on the mounting surfaces? Nice Brompton by the way!
Yes, Croce d'Aune. I had to modify a Campagnolo pattern dropbolt to fit the rear... The grip washers do mark them up a bit but mine arent too bad. The main issue with Deltas seems to be that they only work well when setup properly, they take a lot of setting up, and they need setting up a lot. They seem to have a ferocious appetite for inner cables. Good brakes when they are setup, but the lever feel is utterly unlike anything else ive ever ridden.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Being a new Brompton owner, it has become evident very quickly that many Bromton owners dont look as the Brompton as a conventional bike.

The Bromptoneers in Asia have every accessory possible to pimp their bikes. They go completely overboard and spend a fortune doing it.

I think its a great idea if you are into that sort of thing.

Mine is a bike for riding long distances. hopefully. Not for pimping.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Francesca is by a distance the Brompton i plan on spending the least on. The daily rider is an 11-speed Alfine in a Vostok rear end, colour coded mudguards and a custom SON dynamo, my Nickel is receiving a full dual disc Vostok 11-speed setup, titanium everything and a Shutter Precision front hub... the next project is a recumbent.... A sense of proportion isn't my strongest point...

ukoldschool

chris do you have a standard ti rear triangle or forks you would want to sell?

12boy

Guru
You may have addressed this in an earlier post, but what is your opinion on the Vostok rear and front forks, if you have them yet? Other than the increased width are there any handling or other benefits/drawbacks to the Brompton Ti parts?

berlinonaut

Veteran
OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
You may have addressed this in an earlier post, but what is your opinion on the Vostok rear and front forks, if you have them yet? Other than the increased width are there any handling or other benefits/drawbacks to the Brompton Ti parts?
They are very well engineered. Henrietta has been running her rear triangle pretty much since the day they became first available and i cannot fault it. Remember she is the daily rider, not some pampered Sunday special... If you are running a super modified bike then be aware that getting bits from different manufacturers to work together can take some fitting, it was noticable when i came to swap mudguards around that stock ones fitted slightly easier than the Miller Cycles ones i have now or the SMC carbon ones that Persephone runs... each manufacturer tests their kit against otherwise stock bikes i guess..

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
It is. Kits have been sold 20 years ago:

View attachment 445976
(Image borrowed from this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/convert-brompton-to-recumbent.193147/)

90 kits have been made and sold a long time ago, they only fit the short wheelbase frame up to 2004. Easy and fun to ride, folds like a normal brompton and ends up only slightly bigger and somewhat heavier.
Ahh.. the Brecki... that's what inspired me but..... i want an underseat steering radically recumbent, and I dont want the hassle of a removeable belt. I've got most of it worked out, but the steering linkage is proving hard to design.

Top Bottom