Least practical Brompton ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Ahh.. the Brecki... that's what inspired me but..... i want an underseat steering radically recumbent, and I dont want the hassle of a removeable belt. I've got most of it worked out, but the steering linkage is proving hard to design.

At least one Brecki has been modified to underseat steering - in fact you can see a double-Brecki with custom child trailer in the pic:

IMG34129%2020110407_600pix.jpg

(source: http://arndt-last.de/index.php/dinge/fahrräder#Bromptontandem_Haenger)

12boy

Guru
They are very well engineered. Henrietta has been running her rear triangle pretty much since the day they became first available and i cannot fault it. Remember she is the daily rider, not some pampered Sunday special... If you are running a super modified bike then be aware that getting bits from different manufacturers to work together can take some fitting, it was noticable when i came to swap mudguards around that stock ones fitted slightly easier than the Miller Cycles ones i have now or the SMC carbon ones that Persephone runs... each manufacturer tests their kit against otherwise stock bikes i guess..

Have to ask...How many Bromptons do you have?

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Have to ask...How many Bromptons do you have?
Currently about seven and a half if i add up all the bits... Henrietta, the daily rider 11 speed, and almost finished (waiting on a polished titanium handlebar stem) bullhorn kitted dual disc 11-speed Nickel I call Persephone, an 8-speed custom I'll be selling in the spring (Geraldine), the full Campagnolo drop-bar (Francesca), a lightweight 3-speed with a green frame and a lot of titanium I'm building for a friend, a Blue mk4 frameset that will likely be the recumbent (Bluebird), and a Mk2 that will likely get a 6-speed upgrade and sold (as yet unnamed) there's enough other bits kicking around to build another bike if i find a cheap frame...

12boy

Guru
First I built a shed. That got too full so another shed for non-bikey stuff. Then a 10x10 storage unit and then another 10x10 so I could store unused frames and parts and keep this crap out of my first shed. If I don't knock this off I may be a bachelor, too. Perhaps I missed your response but I am still wondering if the Ti fork, stem, seat post and rear triangle (I think you have all of those) have changed the ride appreciably.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have four sheds, two storage lean-toos, and a lockup garage.

Is that you Arthur ?

12boy

Guru
I know this is an old thread but an issue arose and Francesca is the only Brompton I've seen with bars other than stock or risers. I put some flipped velo orange Milan bars on my S type (kind of like North Roads) because I find the "shaking hand position" so much more comfortable than the "palm down" one used for flat bars. They felt great but there was, of course, a glitch. The extra torque incurred by having the bars cantilevered back caused the grips to rotate down. I tightened the handlepost bolt as much as I dared but the bars still rotated. My question is: was this rotation an issue with the drop bars? If it was and you resolved it, how was it done? BTW, the Milan bars are the same diameter at the grip as the original bars.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
I know this is an old thread but an issue arose and Francesca is the only Brompton I've seen with bars other than stock or risers. I put some flipped velo orange Milan bars on my S type (kind of like North Roads) because I find the "shaking hand position" so much more comfortable than the "palm down" one used for flat bars. They felt great but there was, of course, a glitch. The extra torque incurred by having the bars cantilevered back caused the grips to rotate down. I tightened the handlepost bolt as much as I dared but the bars still rotated. My question is: was this rotation an issue with the drop bars? If it was and you resolved it, how was it done? BTW, the Milan bars are the same diameter at the grip as the original bars.
Not had a problem with them now that im using a set of Tern clamps, also the Nitto bullhorns on my Nickel held ok. If you think about it there is an immense amount of torque around the clamp on an older M or H bar too

Top Bottom