Leather brooks to replace faulty cambium - which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
My Brooks Cambium C15 has developed a crack in the rubber along the line of the nose plate about 10 months from new - a common problem with the cambium range it seems - and brooks (and the shop) are prepared to do a swap or give credit no problem.

I found the saddle comfortable but have decided to try leather as I want something longer lasting.

Never had a leather saddle before so which brooks should I get? For what it's worth the C15 was comfy, I find arione's comfy and I finde San Marco rolls excruciatingly painful. Swift? Swallow? Team pro? Cheers

Debade

Über Member
I tour as do many with the B17. I find it comfortable. I do not always wear a chamois, so it has developed sweat marks. Still works the same, just not as nice looking. And since I find myself in the rain, I did buy a protective cover.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Swallow is quite narrow, the Swift only a touch wider so they're both quite similar to the C15 but I'd use a B17n (narrow)
Of the 5 Brooks I have the B17n is the most comfy with the 2nd being a 'toss-up' between my Swallow and a B5n (obsolete model with a 'dimpled' top but replaced by the B17n in their range)
The least 'comfy' one I've got is a B17s (Copper riveted B17) but only because it is too wide for me, it's OK for sitting on so it's on the (electric) Trike and my Swift is on the 653 frame TT bike so I've never ridden on it for more than a couple of hours so can't comment on 'long term comfort'

The downside to the B17n is weight, as far a I know these are only available with steel rails whereas both the Swift and the Swallow can be had with Titanium rails.

BTW my Swallow is one of the 2004 limited edition models (numbered with a certificate of authenticity) so lord knows what it's worth but the later 2007 LE version was listed at nearly £600 on Brooks' website (that's a Black version whereas the 2004 is Tan) and they made 999 of each model.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...s.html&usg=AFQjCNGfLOqxYZkWP9-TNSyVmRGZ-bIq3Q

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
I've got a Cambium C17 and a Swallow, and I'm comfortable on both - though I haven't used the Cambium a lot yet.

When I was choosing a leather saddle I was torn between a Swallow and a Swift. I went for the Swallow as having the narrowest sides because I've tended to get a bit of rubbing on my thighs in the past, and now that it's broken in I find it very comfortable.

Having said that, I previously had a B17 for many years and I loved that too, so that's two quite different Brooks leather saddles that have suited me well.

From my limited experience and from various discussions I've read, I don't think it's really possible for one person's subjective saddle experience to tell another person much about which one to get - so I don't think I'm being much help really, sorry!

Alan

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Thanks all, especially @raleighnut and @Alan O
I think I like the look of the Swallow most although I would only afford it in steel and without the copper rivets. I was just reading @velovoice blog about Swallows and it seems she had some problems with hers sagging in the middle. Has this been a problem for either of you? Also, is there much difference in rail length between the various models? I like my saddles quite far back (long femurs) and was able to acheive this with my C15 with a set back seat post.

Alan O

Über Member
Thanks all, especially @raleighnut and @Alan O
I think I like the look of the Swallow most although I would only afford it in steel and without the copper rivets. I was just reading @velovoice blog about Swallows and it seems she had some problems with hers sagging in the middle. Has this been a problem for either of you? Also, is there much difference in rail length between the various models? I like my saddles quite far back (long femurs) and was able to acheive this with my C15 with a set back seat post.
My Swallow is steel and no copper - I actually think it looks better. I've had no sagging, though I have only ridden it a bit over 100 miles so far (just enough to break in, using neatsfoot oil). The leather is thinner than my old B17, but I've no idea if that's specific to the Swallow or if it's a feature of modern Brooks saddles in general.

I did find I needed to tighten the tensioning nut a few turns during break-in (which is more than I'd have expected in such a short time), and I think that's now got the support about right - I can imagine it sagging if I'd not tightened it.

With the absence of deep sides, I could believe it might be more susceptible to sagging than others, but I also suspect it depends on the position you actually sit on it. On mine, my sit bones are supported nicely on either side of the wider rear section. Anyway, that's only speculation really, but it might help.

As for rail length, I've just measured my two. I'd say the Swallow has 7cm of straight length and the Cambium C17 has 7.5cm.

Alan

Alan O

Über Member
I was just reading @velovoice blog about Swallows and it seems she had some problems with hers sagging in the middle.
I just read her blog and I see it sagged quite badly in just two months, but also that after it sagged she needed to tighten the nut 3 or 4 turns. I think I had to tighten mine about 3 turns, so maybe there's a problem with Swallow nuts not being tightened enough from the factory?

Alan

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A lot of folklore about Brooks saddles, so I offer this tip in that spirit.

A user of many years told me when he gets a new one, he winds up the tension a fair bit, leaves the saddle unused for a week or two, then backs off the tension on fitting.

He reckoned that breaks them in nicely.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I just read her blog and I see it sagged quite badly in just two months, but also that after it sagged she needed to tighten the nut 3 or 4 turns. I think I had to tighten mine about 3 turns, so maybe there's a problem with Swallow nuts not being tightened enough from the factory?

Alan
The problem is caused by tightening the tension nut, what that does is stretch the leather especially if the saddle is damp (either through rain or sweat) and once they've stretched then that's it you've wrecked the leather.
The 'comfort' of a Swallow is in the 'sag' once yer bum is on it (it is known as a 'hammock' design) and conversely I'd recommend loosening the tension if it ever gets wet then tweaking it back up once it's dried, the plate on the underside prevents the saddle from 'flaring out' during drying but overtension one and keep doing it and I can well believe you would completely wreck it in a few months.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A lot of folklore about Brooks saddles, so I offer this tip in that spirit.

A user of many years told me when he gets a new one, he winds up the tension a fair bit, leaves the saddle unused for a week or two, then backs off the tension on fitting.

He reckoned that breaks them in nicely.
The Swallow is unique in that it does not need 'breaking in', the leather is thinner and it has a steel plate on the underside, it is not like any other Brooks in that regard.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a B17 on one bike. It was comfortable straight out of the box and improved with age.

I have a team pro on my Synapse .It was really hard and uncomfortable initially but after several month it broke in nicely.

Top Bottom