Leather brooks to replace faulty cambium - which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
For anyone interested, Vélovoice's "sag" blog is at velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/brooks-swallow-saddle-new-leather-top.html

I wouldn't like it if my Swallow saddle sagged that much.

I should add that I needed several full tensioning turns before it started to have any effect on the leather (and I was surprised how little resistance there was), so I'm pretty convinced that mine wasn't properly tensioned when it arrived.

Alan

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I must have been lucky but havent had to tension either of my brooks saddles.in about 5 years of heavy use.

Someone told me that after an initial treatment of proofhide to only put on a tiny bit more about once a year or you will soften the leather too much.

My conclusion was that the Swallow was not tensioned correctly when new. However, I do feel the leather is too thin and soft. As I commented on my blog post, the replacement leather top did exactly the same thing, even faster. And two readers commented they had experienced very similar things with their Swallows.

I've since 'converted' to Selle SMPs.

ETA: If I were looking for a leather saddle again, I'd look at Gilles Berthoud. This write up by Jan Heine is interesting and they are readily available in the UK, especially on Ebay.

Last edited:
The problem is caused by tightening the tension nut, what that does is stretch the leather especially if the saddle is damp (either through rain or sweat) and once they've stretched then that's it you've wrecked the leather.
The 'comfort' of a Swallow is in the 'sag' once yer bum is on it (it is known as a 'hammock' design) and conversely I'd recommend loosening the tension if it ever gets wet then tweaking it back up once it's dried, the plate on the underside prevents the saddle from 'flaring out' during drying but overtension one and keep doing it and I can well believe you would completely wreck it in a few months.
Yes, that is the conventional "wisdom" about Brooks saddles, but it is not at all what I experienced.

bondirob

My Brooks Cambium C15 has developed a crack in the rubber along the line of the nose plate about 10 months from new - a common problem with the cambium range it seems - and brooks (and the shop) are prepared to do a swap or give credit no problem.

I found the saddle comfortable but have decided to try leather as I want something longer lasting.

Never had a leather saddle before so which brooks should I get? For what it's worth the C15 was comfy, I find arione's comfy and I finde San Marco rolls excruciatingly painful. Swift? Swallow? Team pro? Cheers

Never had a leather saddle?
Don't is my advice.
Unethical

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unethical?

Plain daft if you're asking me when there are lighter, non-stretch, weatherproof, fit and forget saddles available. I once bought a Swift and I was so shocked at the weight, the hardness and the crudeness of construction that I put it straight back on Ebay.

B17 imperial (cut out) looks a bit odd on a CF road bike - and yes its probably treble to weight of most saddles. Pretty comfy out of the box - but better with a few hundred miles on. A smear of proof ride now and again - jobs a good un.
But after a hamstring and hip injury I can't get comfortable on anything else so no real choice for me to make.
Around £60 from amazon - not expensive in comparison to other saddles these days..

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
ETA: If I were looking for a leather saddle again, I'd look at Gilles Berthoud. This write up by Jan Heine is interesting and they are readily available in the UK, especially on Ebay.
I haven't been terribly impressed by my Berthoud with a cut-out. The one without is ok, but both have limited fore-and-aft adjustment because of the shape of the rails.
Currently I'm trialling a Rivet Diablo, which appears to be a better fit and very well designed and made. Carradice import them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Unethical?

Plain daft if you're asking me when there are lighter, non-stretch, weatherproof, fit and forget saddles available. I once bought a Swift and I was so shocked at the weight, the hardness and the crudeness of construction that I put it straight back on Ebay.
If you're riding a bike for 10-12hrs and not wearing silly synthetic pad shorts (my own favourite are Milano shorts with a cotton mix chamois) then you will begin to realise what leather saddles are all about.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thread resurrection,

A photo of my beautiful (and rare) Brooks Swallow 2004 Limited Edition Titanium,

DSCN0134.JPG

:wub:

Top Bottom