leaving bikebag at nice airport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MePower

Has anyone done this ie, in a locker at Nice airport. We are doing some touring around Ventoux at the time of the TdF stage up there. Flying down to Nice and then cycling/ camping to the Mont. Dont want to use a cardboard box because of the hassle of getting one the other end. Any ideas? Cheers me dears.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm banking on doing the same at Venice Marco Polo in 2 weeks. If not then I'll leave them at our first night stop and collect them on the way back - that's the loose plan anyway!
I've no idea of the cost or availability of left luggage. I tried emailing them but got no reply.

maurice

When I cycled to Nice I bought a Decathlon bike bag from their Nice shop, for 50 euros. Unfortunately it's an out of town Decathlon and the route to/from is extremely uncycle-friendly. I don't think I've ever been so close to death.

OP
OP
MePower

MePower

We were thinking of using bubble wrap, loads of it, but i`ve just heard from someone that bikes must be in a cardboard box or a bike bag. Surely the airlines could catch on to the increase in cycle tourism and make some sort of a provision for bikes. Even a locker of some type at the airport would do. This has got to be the most frustrating part of touring :laugh:

PpPete

Legendary Member
If no luggage lockers at airport (often been removed for "security" reasons) you could arrange your schedule to use an airport hotel, ask to use their baggage room. Baggagerie in French.
There is an Etaphotel not a million miles from the airport - just on Promenade des Anglais. These are generally OK, reasonably priced.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sending them e-mail sort of invites refusal, here's what I would do...

Ask around the airport for the left luggage lockers Consignes in French

If none - then ask at the hotel on arrival - on the basis that you have been "surprised" by the lack of lockers.

In the very unlikely event they say no... you can make as if to take your business elsewhere.... you can bet that as you walk away, the guy/girl on the desk, will suddenly find an "unofficial" solution.

One thing about the French - they may not be the most customer service oriented race but they absolutely HATE to turn business away.:biggrin:

ChrisBailey

A few years ago I did exactly this, flew to Nice and circled over to Mont Ventoux.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/cb2005a

We, two of us, left our bike bags in the left luggage area

http://www.nice.aeroport.fr/services_en/bagages/

No problems at all, picked them up a week later, packed the bikes and flew home.

Enjoy your trip.

Chris

We're flying into Nice for two weeks touring in August and intend leaving the bike bags at the airport which (according to the website) has a left luggage facility.

Top Bottom