Leci/gas meter readings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just had a visit to have my meters read.
Did you know that, for logistical reasons, none of the power companies have their own people to read them. Its all subbed out to companies like Lowri Beck.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's been like that for a good few years here, although I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Reactions: C R

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I went "smart" meters for both. But my solar panels are still attracting a Feed in Tariff. Guess which meter I still have to read? And it still gets a visit for a check by random companies.

I remember them being read by subbed out companies - but I haven;t had one read by a real person for many many years

I used to see their vans around the places but even those disappeared years ago

I think the last time I knew about one requiring a real visit was over 20 years ago when I had recently moved in with my now ex partner and hence 'my' house had been empty for some time while I sorted it out for sale.
The energy use must have dropped off significantly and it must have rung some alarm bells so they demanded a physical reading. WHen I rang to sort it out they insisted that they were legally obliged to physically read it at least every couple of years for safety reasons - which was strange because they never had before, had never read my partner's meter or that of anyone I knew!!!

As far as this house is concerned - they cannot come and read it without someone letting them in through the side gate so they cannot have done a physical read since we moved in - nearly 8 years ago!

rualexander

Legendary Member
I was a meter reader for a few months back in 2002, I was employed by Scottish Power, but don't know if they still have their own meter readers these days.
It was an ok job in the summer but as it headed in to winter it was a bit bleak working from 3 to 8 mostly in the dark.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm expecting them to send some heavies round thinking I've hot wired the leccy meter, as we've slashed leccy use so much. :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Being in the middle of nowhere, we were lucky to have out meter read once a year. No idea who did it though. I'm with bulb now so have the ap. Jus take a reading and put the numbers in. Sorted.

We had a reader round this week. My gas meter display has failed. First time ever. No display. What a time to pack in.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Be aware, Scottish Power website now has a queue to get on it's site - I'll grab my meter readings tonight.

Scottish Power is the worst company on this planet. I was lucky to get away with them owing me £150 instead of them trying to say I owed them thousands as some people have found to their cost.

Being in the middle of nowhere, we were lucky to have out meter read once a year. No idea who did it though. I'm with bulb now so have the ap. Jus take a reading and put the numbers in. Sorted.

WHAT - you have meter readers all the way out there

We have not seen one for many many years
In fact I none have ever visited this house since I moved in over 8 years ago!!!
and I was in my previous house (in Wales!!) for 3 years and never saw one

maybe they don't trust people in your areas for some reasons??:ohmy:
:boxing::boxing::boxing:

Top Bottom