LED /USB shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Placed in Cafe for a wider discussion

*mod* moved to general cycling. *mod*

The "kids" around our way have started wearing "LED" or "USB" trainers

Multiple LEDs in changing colour patterns

How much would this technology help cyclists?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyRM

XOXO
Not much.

But they are good fun and I hope they do them in an 11.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't think it would. Relies on heel strikes generating the electricty and not battery power, at present.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4573700, member: 45"]We have the technology. It's whether sticking lights in shoes is practical. I don't think it is, when you could instead stick lights in pedals instead.

And even that's after you've decided that it's worth putting lights in that area.[/QUOTE]
THESE might be worth trying if you want something eye-catching when riding in the dark? :whistle:

Stephenite

Membå
THESE might be worth trying if you want something eye-catching when riding in the dark? :whistle:
The thing with these sort of lights is that when the batteries run out it is usually cheaper to replace the whole thing than change the batteries.

Edit: OK thats true if you buy the batteries in the high street rather than from amazon for example.

david k

Hi
Always seems clever to put lights in all kinds of things, but it's usually easier to just stick lights on yer bike

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The thing with these sort of lights is that when the batteries run out it is usually cheaper to replace the whole thing than change the batteries.

Edit: OK thats true if you buy the batteries in the high street rather than from amazon for example.
Yes, those batteries are very expensive from some shops but I bought 10 for £1 at our local market!

Always seems clever to put lights in all kinds of things, but it's usually easier to just stick lights on yer bike
The thing about lights and reflectors on pedals/shoes/lower legs is that the pedalling action produces a very distinctive and eye-catching movement of them.

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

As above - USB rechargeable

david k

Hi
Yes, those batteries are very expensive from some shops but I bought 10 for £1 at our local market!

The thing about lights and reflectors on pedals/shoes/lower legs is that the pedalling action produces a very distinctive and eye-catching movement of them.

True, just find them a bit of a fad or a pain to maintain

I put the lights on valve caps on my daughters bike, thought they looked great, not sure why more riders don't use them, maybe it's the colour choices

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I looked into those shoes too, at first glance they seemed ideal for cycling.
However, the sole is quite flexible, the material not waterproof, I don't know if the lights would survive prolonged exposure to water.
I put the lights on valve caps on my daughters bike, thought they looked great, not sure why more riders don't use them, maybe it's the colour choices
They stop working after you hit a few deep puddles. Shame as I quite like the colours :girl:
Spoke lights I think are more resilient.

Top Bottom