Left hand STIs - double/triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Will a double 9 speed LHS STI (ie one marked 'Double') eg Tiagra 4400 or 105 5500 actually pull enough cable to pull the FD (5503 - ie triple) across from the inner to the outer chain ring (via the middle)?

Edit: Answer to this is last post (as at 11 Dec 2015) - the STIs can operate both double and triple FD.

Last edited:
No - The double sti pulls/releases just enough for one chainring movement - ie top to middle or middle to bottom.

U

User33236

It almost certainly will. Mrs SG's bike was bought at 105 10 speed triple and was recently 'upgraded' to 11 speed compact. The front derailleur was not replaced in the change from triple to compact and she has no issues at all with the new setup.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It almost certainly will. Mrs SG's bike was bought at 105 10 speed triple and was recently 'upgraded' to 11 speed compact. The front derailleur was not replaced in the change from triple to compact and she has no issues at all with the new setup.
It will work going that way, the chainrings are the same distance apart so you'd simply have an unused 'detent' position in the shifter.(and the limit screws on the mech would prevent that from moving any further if you tried to select the redundant lever stop)

U

User33236

It will work going that way, the chainrings are the same distance apart so you'd simply have an unused 'detent' position in the shifter.(and the limit screws on the mech would prevent that from moving any further if you tried to select the redundant lever stop)

Think I may be misinterpreting the OP's post as not quite clear when I read it again.:rolleyes:

In my case there was no unused detent and no redundant lever stops as left shifter was changed at the same time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No - The double sti pulls/releases just enough for one chainring movement - ie top to middle or middle to bottom.
I think you are right.

(It is different for Campagnolo left shifters; well, for the 2 that I have, at any rate. A left Campag shifter has multiple stops with enough range for a triple chainset. The type of front mech determines the limits of the pull, though I managed to get a double front mech to work with a triple chainset with a bit of bodgery.)

boydj

Legendary Member
I think you are right.

(It is different for Campagnolo left shifters; well, for the 2 that I have, at any rate. A left Campag shifter has multiple stops with enough range for a triple chainset. The type of front mech determines the limits of the pull, though I managed to get a double front mech to work with a triple chainset with a bit of bodgery.)
The last set of Campag Veloce shifters I bought were specifically for a triple, while the previous version were multi-stop for both double or triple. Shimano were never that flexible.

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks. So the Double LHS STI has no ability to trim then? ie just one click: small chainwheel to large chainwheel.

Thanks. So the Double LHS STI has no ability to trim then? ie just one click: small chainwheel to large chainwheel.

Most of the STI's have a trim but is not very much - A 5510's total pull for example, including the trim, is 15mm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've finally found the answer to my own question drawing on the authority of 'velospec'. The same applies to the LH STI in the 105 (ST-5510): " is compatible with both double and triple 9-speed systems ".
AccountantPete please note for information.

http://velospec.com:8080/en/components/shimano/st4400

Component specification:
Manufacturer: Shimano
Model Name: Tiagra (ST-4400)
Weight: 490 g
Information Source: http://cycle.shimano-eu.com
Information
The Dual Control Lever allows for shifting and braking from the same hand position on the bike. ST-4400 is compatible with both double and triple 9-speed systems
  • 9-Speed Shifting with STI precision
  • 9-Speed RAPID FIRE Plus Shifting
  • FLIGHT DECK Compatible
Model No.: ST-4400
Optical gear display: No
Rear: 9-speed
Front: double/triple
FLIGHT DECK: compatible: SM-6501/6500-RS
Gear sensor: Yes
Max. Single-Stroke Shifts: 3 (rear)*
Handle Bar Diameter: 23.8-24.2mm
Bracket: engineering plastic
Levers: aluminum/painted
Super SLR: Yes
Shift Cable Casing: SIS-SP40
Shift Cable: stainless
Average Weight: 490g (pair)
* except downshifts to bottom gear

I've finally found the answer to my own question drawing on the authority of 'velospec'. The same applies to the LH STI in the 105 (ST-5510): " is compatible with both double and triple 9-speed systems ".
AccountantPete please note for information.

http://velospec.com:8080/en/components/shimano/st4400

Component specification:
Manufacturer: Shimano
Model Name: Tiagra (ST-4400)
Weight: 490 g
Information Source: http://cycle.shimano-eu.com
Information
The Dual Control Lever allows for shifting and braking from the same hand position on the bike. ST-4400 is compatible with both double and triple 9-speed systems
  • 9-Speed Shifting with STI precision
  • 9-Speed RAPID FIRE Plus Shifting
  • FLIGHT DECK Compatible
Model No.: ST-4400
Optical gear display: No
Rear: 9-speed
Front: double/triple
FLIGHT DECK: compatible: SM-6501/6500-RS
Gear sensor: Yes
Max. Single-Stroke Shifts: 3 (rear)*
Handle Bar Diameter: 23.8-24.2mm
Bracket: engineering plastic
Levers: aluminum/painted
Super SLR: Yes
Shift Cable Casing: SIS-SP40
Shift Cable: stainless
Average Weight: 490g (pair)
* except downshifts to bottom gear

That website is slightly misleading.

Shimano usually do two models of each left hand shifter .

The basic double shifting lever is usually numbered 00 (or 01 for design revision) eg 4400 is the Tiagra double shifting lever. The triples are numbered 03 so the Tiagra model will be 4403.

All right hand shifters are numbered 4400

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
OK from Yahoo:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110713002919AApr2A2

Best Answer: Roll the left shifter hood forward away from the handlebar. You should be able to see the model # of the shifter molded (sic) into the lever body.

If you have 9-sp 105, your lever should be either ST-5500 or ST-5510. These are both double/triple compatible.

If you have 10-sp 105, your lever should be either ST-5600, ST-5601, or ST-5603. ST-5600 is both double/triple compatible; it's the earliest version of 10-sp 105 shifters. When Shimano underwent a large number of warranty claims due to breakage of the shifters caused from improper setup and operation, it introduced the double-only compatible ST-5601 and the triple-only compatible ST-5603.

So....

A ST-5601 left shifter is the only one listed that is NOT compatible with triple cranksets

A ST-5600 left shifter IS compatible with both, but is more prone to damage when setup for double cranks.

The ST-5603 left shifter is the preferred, dedicated triple shifter for 10-sp systems

Either ST-5500 or ST-5510 will work fine for triple cranks and neither have a history of breakage issues.

Top Bottom