Left standing & completely embarrassed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Who cares. I ride because I enjoy getting out on the bike and it's helping to get me fitter. I can now comfortable ride 50 miles with a fair few hills in there - 2 years ago I struggled to get around 10. I only ever compare my performance to myself.

Of course it irritates when my 12 year old passes me...

I got passed yesterday by a bloke who looked very confused that I didn't chase him down but I was on a recovery spin, trying to keep my hr as low as possible; I think I succeeded my ave hr was 58% and max 76% that was probably when a car was sat behind me patiently on a series of uphill bends and I upped the pace rather than hold them up too much.

gam001

Über Member
A well sorted bike will travel at 20 mph on the flat with no wind at around 180 watts. That is below tempo even for me, and I am a long way away from the high end.
I am at around 250-275watts at 20mph (Tempo for me)...bike's ok, could improve wheels / tyres etc, but must lose some weight - I can do 180w all day long!

VamP

Banned
I am at around 250-275watts at 20mph (Tempo for me)...bike's ok, could improve wheels / tyres etc, but must lose some weight - I can do 180w all day long!

That's weird. How are you measuring power?

Are you sure that's on the flat and without wind?

Even shitty tyres with borked hubs should give a better economy than that.

But if 275 watts is tempo for you, that's impressive! I'm at 25mph at 275 watts.

gam001

Über Member
That's weird. How are you measuring power?

Are you sure that's on the flat and without wind?

Even s***ty tyres with borked hubs should give a better economy than that.

But if 275 watts is tempo for you, that's impressive! I'm at 25mph at 275 watts.
Measured via PowerTap hub, recently recalibrated and seems the same as before.
That's on the hoods, on flat ground with no wind.
I use winter tyres (Bonty RaceLite HardCase) and wheels are Mavic Aksiums, with carbon bike.
The main drag is me, at nearly 100kg.
I could hold 250-275w for up to 2 to 3 hours if I needed to (what I deem as "Tempo"), so if I lost 20-25kg of fat (which is do-able!!) and IF my power stayed roughly the same (it may go down with loss of weight even though it is fat loss??), with good wheels & tyres it sounds like I would be moving!

400bhp

Guru
Measured via PowerTap hub, recently recalibrated and seems the same as before.
That's on the hoods, on flat ground with no wind.
I use winter tyres (Bonty RaceLite HardCase) and wheels are Mavic Aksiums, with carbon bike.
The main drag is me, at nearly 100kg.
I could hold 250-275w for up to 2 to 3 hours if I needed to (what I deem as "Tempo"), so if I lost 20-25kg of fat (which is do-able!!) and IF my power stayed roughly the same (it may go down with loss of weight even though it is fat loss??), with good wheels & tyres it sounds like I would be moving!

want to try out some Mich Pro Race of mine? I have some spares.

gam001

Über Member
want to try out some Mich Pro Race of mine? I have some spares.
Is that because they delivered about a dozen in the end :laugh:
I don't think the tyres will make too much difference (may be wrong) - I think I'll just concentrate on losing some weight and start treating it just as seriously as my training on my bike, cheers :thumbsup:

VamP

Banned
Your frontal area, not your weight, is what defines your drag. On the flat the weight is irrelevant. Weight loss shouldn't really affect your power output, unless you follow some crazy rapid loss diet.

Ride in the drops. Wear skin tight clothes. Get better tyres, fit latex tubes. Refurb the hubs on your Aksiums. There's no reason why you shouldn't get a lot faster with just those easy steps. On the flat.

Of course, in the real world, you're never on the flat for long.

It was a poser pass

Belt along as fast as you can to scalp someone, and then as you become unable to continue, skip off and hide!

They think you have disappeared into the distance!

Top Bottom