Left turn alarm on lorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
[QUOTE 2841482, member: 30090"]*Beano has to have a brief moment to himself when imagining Claud giving a severe thrashing (not literally of course) to another CC member.*:boxing:

Your original post was crass victim blaming and rather then apologise you've continued with remarks that are both disrespectful, ignorant and hurtful to members of the victims family, friends and also members on here.

The whole 'why did the driver not get charged' is strawman bollox, your original assertion was that 90% of cyclists are to blame for their own deaths - nothing to do with why did the driver get charged or not. And the irony is lost on me when you start having a pop at other members about personal remarks when your conduct in this thread has been worse then **** poor.

As mentioned you either back up your assertion, apologise or f*** off, but don't go making personal remarks about a persons homelife though as it really is quite sad.

In answer to the OP I think it is a good idea, I'm hoping that it will come with some sort of campaign that can further raise awareness.[/quote]
LOL....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2841492, member: 30090"]How can a cyclist bring danger to a truck?[/quote]

Did I say a bike could bring danger to a truck? Read the rest of the sentence and you might understand what I meant.

Tiny, I do not know where the other posters get their information from to make them certain how this recent spate of accidents were caused. I am just talking in general about trucks, bikes and accidents.

We all know it won't be long before we are talking about another cyclists getting killed on the inside of a truck. Would it happen if they were not on the inside of the truck?

Maybe I am missing the point of this post.

Steve

[QUOTE 2841492, member: 30090"]How can a cyclist bring danger to a truck?[/quote]

They don't necessarily bring danger to a truck, but one shouldn't underestimate the impact running over a cyclist can have on the life of someone who didn't go to work that morning in order to kill someone. I know that the impact on the driver of the truck is nowhere near as devastating as the impact on the cyclist and their family, but I also know that I'd be absolutely devastatded if I'd killed someone with my lorry, whether it was my fault or not.

swansonj

Guru
2841343 said:
Why should it? There is no problem whatsoever in going up the inside of a lorry, provided that it is either not moving to the left or you are going to be clear by the time it does.
I agree with you Adrian. But, for myself, I don't trust myself to judge whether those two criteria are met with sufficient consistency (I only have to get it wrong once in a lifetime's cycling). So I set myself a personal rule of not filtering up the inside of a lorry, full stop. Sometimes I yield to temptation, but that's the self-imposed rule I try to follow. Other cyclists, who are better at snap spatial judgements, are, as far as I'm concerned, perfectly entitled to follow your rules.

swansonj

Guru
Who said anything about rules? It's about behaving like an adult.
Whoops - sorry if "rule" was the wrong word, though I did say "self imposed" rule. I'm not very good at making snap judgements, so I like to have rules, or principles, or decision algorithms, or whatever you want to call them, worked out, as far as possible, in advance.

The point I wanted to make, in as far as I can remember it now or even had a point at the time, is that Adrian doesn't like people insisting on a universal mantra "thou shalt never go up the inside of a lorry", whereas for me, that is more or less what I try to follow - but there is no contradiction there, because, given the incredible, appalling reality that there are people let loose with lethal weapons they can't adequately control in public spaces, even those of us most alert to and opposed to victim blaming have to make decisions about the behaviours we are going to adopt in the interests of self preservation - and those decisions can legitimately be different for people with different levels of skill or experience.

The point I wanted to make, in as far as I can remember it now or even had a point at the time, is that Adrian doesn't like people insisting on a universal mantra "thou shalt never go up the inside of a lorry", whereas for me, that is more or less what I try to follow - but there is no contradiction there, because, given the incredible, appalling reality that there are people let loose with lethal weapons they can't adequately control in public spaces, even those of us most alert to and opposed to victim blaming have to make decisions about the behaviours we are going to adopt in the interests of self preservation - and those decisions can legitimately be different for people with different levels of skill or experience.

I don't think it's a bad mantra, though, or a bad general rule (or principle or guideline, call it what you will) to follow. I don't cycle much any more, but when I did I never went up the inside of a lorry unless I could see that it wasn't going to move until I was past it, and that I had an escape route if I needed it. I don't see this as blaming victims or telling the more vulnerable road user to keep out of the way: it just seems like common sense to me. In much the same way, I don't try and undertake lorries on roundabouts in my car, or position my car in the rear three quarter blindspot of another car on the motorway for longer than I have to. It's just about understanding what other road users can and can't see.
Of course, you always need to make allowances for the fact that they haven't seen you, or that they don't care even if they have seen you, but if you keep out of the danger zone in the first place, that doesn't matter so much. That's part of the essence of being a good driver: anticipating the danger zones and keeping out of them. You can extend the same principle to cycling fairly easily, and it doesn't alter the fact that it's still the job of the lorry driver to look out for cyclists and other vulnerable road users.

Top Bottom