Left turn alarm on lorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was overtaken by a Lorry on the approach to an island this morning (No issues with overtake... plenty of room)

As I approached the back of the lorry I saw its indicator but as I got closer I heard a loud bleeper, And I thought "Aghhhhh he's reversing!" but then the bleeper shouted "WARNING THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT."

Wow.... what a good idea, I've never come across this before.... Is it common on new lorries? and does it come on with indicators (as it seemed to start later than indicators as I had already seen them) or does the driver press it when he overtakes a cyclist near a junction.

Note: I wasn't going to go up the inside of said lorry I always wait behind vehicles that will squash me and my bike properly.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
It would be easy enough to programme the truck so that the warning sounded when the gearbox was in neutral or the brake applied and the left hand indicator switched on. The speakers could be along the nearside of the vehicle.

OP
OP
simon the viking
It would be easy enough to programme the truck so that the warning sounded when the gearbox was in neutral or the brake applied and the left hand indicator switched on. The speakers could be along the nearside of the vehicle.
It did seem to activate later than the signal.... Is it common though never heard of it before

Chris S

Legendary Member
I think there is a problem with lorry drivers seeing cyclists, overtaking them and then making left turns.

It hapened to me. I think the only reason why the lorry driver stopped was because there were other vehicles behind us who had seen what he had done.

classic33

Leg End Member
Some vehicles are being fitted with them, others havd cameras that allow the driver to see if there is anything coming up either side.

buggi

Bird Saviour
they are fitting them to our works LGVs. Nice to hear feedback like this. I think they are loud and accompanied by a beep so you should hear them if you had headphones but it's something I'll bring up at work and ensure its fed back.

oldroadman

Veteran
Shouldn't be wearing bl...y headphones at all. All senses should be at best level when riding. The buzzer/warning thing is probably automatic and an extension of the wanings when trucks/buses are reversing. If you don't hear that because of some stupid song blasting away in headphones, then a darwin award possibly awaits, along with removal of the sense of immortality!

buggi

Bird Saviour
Shouldn't be wearing bl...y headphones at all. All senses should be at best level when riding. The buzzer/warning thing is probably automatic and an extension of the wanings when trucks/buses are reversing. If you don't hear that because of some stupid song blasting away in headphones, then a darwin award possibly awaits, along with removal of the sense of immortality!
it's not illegal to wear headphones (whatever your opinion) and therefore I think a valid point has been made. the fact remains that some cyclists do wear them, and so do some pedestrians.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
it's not illegal to wear headphones (whatever your opinion) and therefore I think a valid point has been made. the fact remains that some cyclists do wear them, and so do some pedestrians.

I think the only validity in this point is that some people do wear them.

If those people choose to wear them and turn them up so loud that they cannot hear what is going on around them, then it is their lookout. They have a responsibility to look after their own safety and not expect to be Molly coddled by every other road user.

I am not sure how the new alarms work but I think any steps that lorry firms are taking to make the roads safer for cyclists has to be applauded.

Steve

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Quite right too, we should make sure deaf people dont ride bikes either for that very reason.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I think the only validity in this point is that some people do wear them.

If those people choose to wear them and turn them up so loud that they cannot hear what is going on around them, then it is their lookout. They have a responsibility to look after their own safety and not expect to be Molly coddled by every other road user.

I am not sure how the new alarms work but I think any steps that lorry firms are taking to make the roads safer for cyclists has to be applauded.

Steve

yea but if you have a choice between sensors to tell the driver there is a cyclist or a voice telling the cyclist the lorry is turning, would it cross their minds the cyclist might not be able to hear because they were plugged in... or.. in the extreme... come to think of it... could the cyclist be deaf or have limited hearing. Plus, the audible warning is for all vulnerable road users not just cyclists. you could have a deaf pedestrian. All I'm saying is, it might not have been considered when making the decision.

So I'm gonna ask how loud it is and if this has been considered.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ok if you are deaf the indicators are a visual aid. I don't go along with the argument that all lorry drivers don't indicate. Being an ex lorry driver, I think the majority of them do indicate.

I have never heard one so don't know if there is an audible alarm and a voice, or how loud they are.

I have an ex colleague who has one fitted to his truck. I will ask him.

wait4me

Veteran
yea but if you have a choice between sensors to tell the driver there is a cyclist or a voice telling the cyclist the lorry is turning, would it cross their minds the cyclist might not be able to hear because they were plugged in... or.. in the extreme... come to think of it... could the cyclist be deaf or have limited hearing. Plus, the audible warning is for all vulnerable road users not just cyclists. you could have a deaf pedestrian. All I'm saying is, it might not have been considered when making the decision.

So I'm gonna ask how loud it is and if this has been considered.

Regarding the people wearing earphones I feel you're defending the indefensible.
I fail to understand the brain workings of someone who puts a bit of music ahead of self preservation.
These people expect another person to take extra care for them when they don't bother to take all possible safety measures for themselves?

Top Bottom