Left turn alarm on lorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Indeed I am sure you are correct in what you say. We have sometimes to have rules to protect people from their own lack of sense of preservation.
So you wish I should stop cycling because I have impaired hearing?

I also where I wear headphones whilst out cycling.

Alan...

buggi

Bird Saviour
I find that those wearing headphones act pretty much the same as they do if they weren't. You are either a conscientious cyclist or you're not. You are either trained or untrained. and you are either experienced or non-experienced. The headphones don't make a difference, those that wear them cycle the same if they are wearing them as they do when they are not. and if someone is inexperienced enough to cycle up the side of a lorry on an occasion where a more experienced cyclist would take caution, they will do so whether they are wearing headphones or not. This is the reason why it is sensible to take this into account when deciding on whether to have an audible alarm for cyclist or a sensor to alert the driver. Ideally, they would put both types of alarms on lorries. That would be best. But either way, one or the other is better than non at all.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wonder if the cyclists of the Netherlands are currently debating the need for indicator/proximity alarms on Dutch trucks?

.............?
Yes they are. They are also talking about it in Denmark as well. Even though we have excellent cycle path systems we still have fatalities involving lorries turning right (We drive on the other side of the road), but not on the scale of the UK, obviously.

Buggi, if you can hear the traffic when wearing your headphones, you will apparently have no problem hearing the alarms and warnings from the trucks because they are louder than the traffic.

PK99

Legendary Member
I wonder if the cyclists of the Netherlands are currently debating the need for indicator/proximity alarms on Dutch trucks?

.............?

Information
This entry was posted on 20 November 2013 bybicycledutch in Original posts and tagged figures,infrastructure, sustainable safety, trucks.

http://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/cycling-and-trucks-dutch-way/

right-hook-fatalities.jpg

from another source:

Publications
The problem of lorries turning right.
C. Schoon (2006). R-2006-2. Leidschendam,
SWOV. [In Dutch, with a summary in
English]

The circumstances of blind spot crashes
and short- and long-term measures.
C. Schoon, M. Doumen. & D. de Bruin
(2008). R-2008-11A en R-2008-11B.
SWOV, Leidschendam. [In Dutch, with a
summary in English]

Blind spot crashes. SWOV Fact sheet,
May 2009.

Model design for Blind spot Detection and
Observation Systems. D. Hoedemaeker,
M. Doumen, M. de Goede, J. Hogema,
R. Brouwer, & A. Wennemers (2010) Rapport
TNO-DV 2010 C150. Soesterberg,:
TNO Defence, Security and Safety. [In
Dutch, with a summary in English

And here, not so recent (2011) but relevant:
http://www.swov.nl/rapport/Ss_RA/RA47.pdf
Topics:
Safety in numbers: more cyclists, lower risks?

Cycling fatalities in blind spot crashes

Infrastructure and bicycle crashes: safety increasing, yet more to do

Music and phone calls: increased risk while cycling

Bicycle helmets: The pros and cons INCLUDING:
Project
To promote the use of bicycle helmets, all
primary school pupils of groups 1 to 4 (ages
4-7) in the Dutch province of Zeeland are
given a free bicycle helmet during the period
Publication
Bicycle helmets. SWOV Fact sheet,
December 2011.
The use of helmets
is currently being promoted in a number
of other (European) countries.
2011–2015. An evaluation study in which
SWOV participates investigates which factors
are responsible for children wearing or not
wearing their helmet. It will also look at the
effects on injury trends. The study monitors the
development in helmet wearing, injuries and
perception from the start of the project in 2011
until the end of the project in 2015. ■

Last edited:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
What you said was not the truth, it was ignorant and very offensive to anyone connected with the people who have been killed by HGVs while doing absolutely nothing wrong. You should go and look at the reports of the recent accidents, and then come back here and apologise.
How many of the drivers were arrested? Also, the drivers were doing nothing wrong either. If a lorry is turning left just wait behind. Or if you're really desperate, filter on the right and sit right in front of the driver.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
What you said was not the truth, it was ignorant and very offensive to anyone connected with the people who have been killed by HGVs while doing absolutely nothing wrong. You should go and look at the reports of the recent accidents, and then come back here and apologise.
And also, stop trying to lay the guilt factor about the deaths with me.

Origamist

Legendary Member
And also, stop trying to lay the guilt factor about the deaths with me.

Then stop making baseless assertions that 90% of cyclists are to blame when they are injured in collisions with HGVs - it's arrant nonsense that is both disrespectful and hurtful to the victims and their families.

Top Bottom