Leg length discrepancy and what to do about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
The right leg seems to be a little longer than the left while riding. I can see it in the mirror indoors and outdoors notice the leg travels slightly differently while pedaling. The shorter leg also doesn't seem to want to bottom out like the longer leg and sometimes has a little downward toe point at the bottom of the stroke.

What to do a about this discrepancy? The issue is really in my hips because the legs are the same length. So I can do some physio for that; however, I'm not optimistic.

Some fitters add a shim on shorter leg between cleat and shoe. Has this worked for you?

Thinking of lowering the saddle until it's works for the shorter leg. Currently getting saddle sores on the shorter left side from the pinching motion that seems to be made when the crank wants to travel downward further than the leg. For me it would probably be just an eighth to a quarter of an inch. Has this worked for you?

For the saddle sores honey has worked best so far. Have also tried hydro-cortisone and tea tree oil. Would like to get my hands on some of MEFIX tape but can't find a retailer here in the states.

Thank you for letting me know how you have dealt with this issue.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I'd go for different length cranks as well as a first step ....

Well that seems to be an expensive way to go given that they are Ultegra cranks and I have more than one bike. Does the shorter crank go with the shorter leg? Also on the longer crank, won't that be coming up higher closer to chest on the upswing? In the previous thread mentioned about he wrote that he had another problem related to the crank being further out.

Has anyone tried the shim on the shorter leg? Lowering the seat post?

I'm going to try the lower seat post first and the shim second. Wouldn't mind hearing if this has worked for others.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you are really keen I would say a professional fit would be the way to go.

You might well make the problems worse by going the diy route.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well that seems to be an expensive way to go given that they are Ultegra cranks and I have more than one bike. Does the shorter crank go with the shorter leg? Also on the longer crank, won't that be coming up higher closer to chest on the upswing? In the previous thread mentioned about he wrote that he had another problem related to the crank being further out.

Has anyone tried the shim on the shorter leg? Lowering the seat post?

I'm going to try the lower seat post first and the shim second. Wouldn't mind hearing if this has worked for others.
I'd have thought the shorter crank with the shorter leg, I don't think that one leg coming a few mm higher than the other would be an issue. But I take your point.

Re: the shim, could you experiment with a pair of flat pedals and then tie-wrap a wooden shim(s) to one side of the pedal and see if that works for starters. I take your point that a pedal shim will describe a higher circle relative to the BB axle than a shorter crank and that might be a better fix.

pauldavid

Veteran
You could bolt a block of wood to the pedal with the shorter leg.

My grandad carried this mod out on my first bike to great effect because the bike was too bloody big. On reflection he could have just got me a bike the right size in the first place.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Send a shim for a year, had the problem partially fixed by a chiropractor but ultimately it was surgery that resolved it. I will hasten to add, all this was caused by back problems, the unequal leg length was just a symptom.

The shims helped, the chiropractor helped even more.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With a shim on the shorter leg the effect will be to make the shorter leg have to come up further, different length crankarms is the way to go ( the shorter arm describes a smaller circle)

My daughter had been told she had one leg longer than the other by a physio's and a bike fitter , turned out to be probably rubbish. I tracked down a expert bike fitter/sport rehabilitation person at Pedal Precision based at the national cycling centre in Manchester, ok a bit far for you to go. We expected him to fit cleat shims . He did not even have to see her on the bike to diagnose it was her back, one leg shorter than the other was a optical illusion caused by the way she stood and sat on a bike, but he measured everything to make sure. It was probably due to her being kicked by a horse when around 14.
She is undergoing self physio excercises to sort it, won't know if works for a while yet. ( causes knee pain)
So my advice is trawl the internet for a top guy in the field of body geometry and bike fit and go and see him, might be one leg is shorter than the other you never know.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Unless the discrepancy is big (more than a cm?), I would just drop the saddle to the recommended height for the shorter leg and let my longer leg sort itself out. As long as you take it reasonably easy while you get used to it... I am not a physio or a bike fitter, but I do have one leg slightly (.5cm or so) shorter than the other myself (according to my bike fitter).

Top Bottom