Leg length discrepancy and what to do about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it is a genuine leg length discrepancy and not a back issue (and it's not more than about 8mm) shim the cleat. Crank shortening can only be done where the new pedal hole doesn't ovelap the original hole, so only suitable where the discrepancy exceeds about 15mm. A shorter crank will describe an overall smaller diameter and this will have an (however slight) effect on the leverage ratio (ie. gearing). If you reduce the crank length by 50% - for example - you double the effort required to push it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does the shorter crank go with the shorter leg?
Or longer one for the longer leg. You'll want to change the left side crank, of course. Doesn't have to be Ultegra: just has to be the same crank/bb fit. Why not try it on the bike you use most with a cheap crank arm which is 5mm longer/shorter? But support the idea of a bike fit by someone you trust (ie is not just running a formula and can cope with deformities and aberrations).

DWiggy

Über Member
I too have the same problem with leg length, about an inch difference from talipes, always difficult getting a good position on the saddle as good leg fits well while "nemo" leg doesn't quite make it to the bottom of the peddle stroke, becomes a right pain in the ass (literally)
always though about getting shims would be interesting to know the results, never thought of different length cranks, sound like a good idea :smile:

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Unless the discrepancy is big (more than a cm?), I would just drop the saddle to the recommended height for the shorter leg and let my longer leg sort itself out. As long as you take it reasonably easy while you get used to it... I am not a physio or a bike fitter, but I do have one leg slightly (.5cm or so) shorter than the other myself (according to my bike fitter).

So far it's worked. Lowered saddle a little less than a quarter of an inch. Saddle sore is going away and getting better. The bicycle computer says that I am now paddling at a 50:50 balance. Now it feels like I can "mash" the pedals down with both legs instead of just one.

Did not have a big leg length discrepancy but this seemed to take care of it.

Top Bottom