Leg shaving....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the top? Or at the bottom?
Precisely.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Unshaven legs make others think you are not a serious cyclist.
Ahhh, I see. My previous question answered. My next question then, WTF is a "serious" cyclist? Is it all about the look? Is it the ex golfists who turned to cycling when it became trendy? Do I not count just because I don't wear all the uniform? It doesn't stop me doing imperial centuries, or one corner of Scotland to the diagonally opposite, or tours of France, or, or, or...... Just as well then that I don't give a flying feck what other cyclists think :laugh:.

Ahhh, I see. My previous question answered. My next question then, WTF is a "serious" cyclist? Is it all about the look? Is it the ex golfists who turned to cycling when it became trendy? Do I not count just because I don't wear all the uniform? It doesn't stop me doing imperial centuries, or one corner of Scotland to the diagonally opposite, or tours of France, or, or, or...... Just as well then that I don't give a flying feck what other cyclists think :laugh:.
Oh dear. Someone has taken this all too seriously.
Wind your neck in boy and relax.
You've enough to worry about with wee Jimmy Crankie.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Reactions: C R

Globalti

Legendary Member
Matt Seaton explains in his excellent little book The Escape Artist that leg shaving marks the move from amateur to pro. It's all about the culture of smartness and cleanliness and Seaton says that if you turned up for a race with hairy legs you'd be laughed out of the peloton.

Jimidh

Veteran
I’m a shaver but after my wee off two weeks ago today which resulted in a broken collarbone i’m amazed how hairy i have become over the space of 14 days.

I did find one of the benefits of being hairless though. After my accident I had dressings on my legs and elbow.

The leg ones came off painlessly- the hairy arm one not so much.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As I thought....
OK - I will put it another way. There are certain threads that hit a raw nerve with me. They usually involve helmets, lycra, shaved legs, and the mention of "serious cyclists", as if all those things go hand in hand. They don't. Cycling is not an exclusive sport for a certain type, and if it is really serious about becoming popular with the masses then the snobbery needs to end. It is possible to be serious about cycling without conforming to the stereotype "serious cyclist".

Top Bottom