legal advice for running a so called red light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 2720552, member: 30090"]Gaz will explain? That's like the pupil trying to teach the master...:whistle:[/quote]
Are you saying i'm the pupil? :P

Anyway, Motorists at the front of the queue will often have a tendency to stare at the light, waiting for it to change like drag strip lights and then GO GO GO. Putting your self in front or just off side of them can result in some pre-frustation as they know they will be held up. More of an issue in my eyes is that as you set off there will be nothing in front of you and the motorist will see the open road ahead of you, the bliss that they want to travel at what ever speed that their right foot dictates. As such, they can often perform a dodgy overtake.
Where as, if you are a few cars back from the front and can kind of keep up with the car in front when the lights change. The motorist behind will only see the rear of another car in front of you and won't be as likely to do a dodgy overtake.

I pick and choose where I try to implement this. I mostly do it when there aren't many cyclists around. As I know other cyclists will filter to the front and then slow the cars down, in turn slowing me down.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 2720779, member: 45"]If we're taking about ignoring red lights. What others [road tules that put cyclists at risk] do you think there are?[/quote]
The rule that prevents entry into an ASL when the light is red by any means other than the feeder lane. The HC advice (which I grant you is not itself a rule but which may nevertheless be used in support of the argument that someone's cycling is below standard) to "use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. The rules regarding zebra crossings that prohibit overtaking vehicles on the approach only if they are motor vehicles. The rule that makes it illegal (or used to, before they changed the road layout) to use teh southbound contraflow bus lane at Tottenham Hale gyratory. Those are off the top of my head, there may be others

Dan B

Disengaged member
if you make your way down the outside of a queue of traffic and find that there is no way to legally enter it, I'd suggest you are at greater risk waiting alongside the first vehicle in the queue than you would be ahead of it. otherwise what's the point of it being there?

Sara_H

Guru
I'll tell you what fella's, I'm going to leave you to argue this one out among yourselves, it's like trying to argue with a group of toddlers. I'm sure some of you have missed a stage of development somewhere along the line. I'll leave you with these words a wise old woman once said to me:

"If the highway code told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?"

:hello:

Licramite

Über Member
I got done for running a red light, I didn't think I had time to stop safely so I went across.
still got done for it- as kelly said - such is life.
in the end if run the light your guilty. - for whatever reason - your still guilty. take it like a man.
after all they can't take your cycling license off you or give you points and it won't effect your insurance.

Licramite

Über Member
[QUOTE 2721033, member: 45"]The HC isn't law.

RLJing is against the law. It's not necessary to keep us safe, and is not victimless. Victims include those encouraged to copy, those who recieve retribution from drivers and pedestrians who have experienced the negatives of the activity and those pedestrians who just want to get to the other side of the road.[/quote]
along with the chickens. - why do they do that?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The rule that prevents entry into an ASL when the light is red by any means other than the feeder lane. The HC advice (which I grant you is not itself a rule but which may nevertheless be used in support of the argument that someone's cycling is below standard) to "use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. The rules regarding zebra crossings that prohibit overtaking vehicles on the approach only if they are motor vehicles. The rule that makes it illegal (or used to, before they changed the road layout) to use teh southbound contraflow bus lane at Tottenham Hale gyratory. Those are off the top of my head, there may be others
The zebra crossing one is a weird one (it actually applies to all crossings with zig zag lines). As the rule has two sides.
1. when there are no people crossing. Motor vehicles are not allowed to overtake other motor vehicles in the area of the crossing.
2. when people are crossing, no vehicle shall overtake the lead vehicle which has stopped to let the pedestrians cross.

Principles, justice, fairness, equity etc are not necessary points of contention when one is dealing with a bike crossing on amber. It rapidly becomes one when it involves demerit points, disqualification or when one faces a serious charge.

Best to pay the fine and get it off your list. I won't be surprised some of us do just that in order to fight the right battles.

After what happened with 3 senior Police Officers and their respective chief constables, there is nothing to prove to anyone when it comes to their integrity and honesty let alone the 2 ordinary policemen.

400bhp

Guru
I'll tell you what fella's, I'm going to leave you to argue this one out among yourselves, it's like trying to argue with a group of toddlers. I'm sure some of you have missed a stage of development somewhere along the line. I'll leave you with these words a wise old woman once said to me:

"If the highway code told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?"

:hello:

You clearly don't know how to debate.

Top Bottom