Legalised Parking on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think parking on the pavement makes sense where the road is narrow and the pavement is wide enough to lose a little to cars.

So long as pedestrians and pushchairs are not hindered.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Nah, we're getting crammed in. Closer and closer.
Houses are now smaller than they used to be. Gardens are being sold off and built on and now we've got families with 3 or 4 cars, on streets with no off road parking. Plod turning round and saying "the roads were built before we had so many cars"
IMO tough. VED should be a licence to drive a car on the road, not to use the road as a car park - even less the pavement.
Pavements are for peds, roads for vehicles. If you can't park safely outside your house, you can't park outside your house. Physical construction of a pavements different to that of a road too, less protection for services....

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Nah, we're getting crammed in. Closer and closer.
Houses are now smaller than they used to be. Gardens are being sold off and built on and now we've got families with 3 or 4 cars, on streets with no off road parking. Plod turning round and saying "the roads were built before we had so many cars"
IMO tough. VED should be a licence to drive a car on the road, not to use the road as a car park - even less the pavement.
Pavements are for peds, roads for vehicles. If you can't park safely outside your house, you can't park outside your house. Physical construction of a pavements different to that of a road too, less protection for services....

In fairness though, the only time it really becomes an issue is if they impede the flow of traffic or everybody starts fighting over the same bit of space.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Very easy to argue - parking shouldn't be allowed at all on that road. It's a death-trap.

So where do the residents park then ? The person I visited reckon that each house has at least couple of cars and it becomes a real scrum for parking in the evening.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well it is hard to argue against cycling on the pavement when you go down this road in Gloucester :tongue:

Interesting point. There is a new estate nearby which was built with shared use pavements - in that they are the same level as the road surface, minimal kerb, only the finish is different. Cars are parked partly on this 'pavement'. There are no signs specifying anything. Have often wondered what the legal position was.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I feel a no-brainer coming on...

I think it could be argued that it is very much a cultural aspiration to own a car among the younger generation there, and to hinder that by not letting them park on the pavement might be construed as discriminatory.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
In fairness though, the only time it really becomes an issue is if they impede the flow of traffic or everybody starts fighting over the same bit of space.
Nah again, residential areas are just that, residential, not car parks. Cars shouldn't take priority. I'd put double yellows down one side of that road and enforce them.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Perhaps a resident only parking permit system, with one permit per house. Quite simply, if there isn't enough room to park safely, then don't park

The majority of people living down there traditionally have very large families, once the kids grow up, they may continue living with their parents for many years afterwards due to the pressures on affordable housing. It is what you might class as deprived area.

rusky

CC Addict
I think it could be argued that it is very much a cultural aspiration to own a car among the younger generation there, and to hinder that by not letting them park on the pavement might be construed as discriminatory.
That is possibly the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time!

Top Bottom