Legalised Parking on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Well...it's a pet hate of mine.

If a car is on the pavement I will under no circumstances walk on the road. I have been known to run ahead of my wife (who was pushing her elderly mother in a wheel chair) and push back parked cars wing mirrors to make room, and that's something I do with very little care or attention ..if I set an alarm offI don't care, if I scratch a car (though I would never do it on purpose out of malice or anger) I equally don't care.

I'm sure this makes me petty to the point of OCD.. But if there's no space for me, a wheelchair, a pram ect then I find them as deplorable as people who park in disabled spots.

Quick question....say my 4 year old son is on the pavement and he falls into a stationary car that's parked on the pavement and scratches it...who's liable? Equally, say an blind person accidentally scratches the paintwork trying to squeeze past a parked car who's liable for the damage?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well...it's a pet hate of mine.

If a car is on the pavement I will under no circumstances walk on the road. I have been known to run ahead of my wife (who was pushing her elderly mother in a wheel chair) and push back parked cars wing mirrors to make room, and that's something I do with very little care or attention ..if I set an alarm of I don't care, if I scratch a car (though I would never do it on purpose out of malice or anger) I equally don't care.

I'm sure this makes me petty to the point of OCD.. But if there's no space for me, or a wheelchair, pram ect then I find them as deplorable as people who park in disabled spots.
Wing mirrors on cars parked on the footpath do not like me:whistle:

subaqua

What’s the point
Reminds me... similar to the parents who complain they can't park near school.
Even though the schools been there 40 years and little Tarquin/kylie is only 6

yes because its always the toffs who call kids sily names and must drive them to school. never anybody from the chavvier households.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I guess I'm disliked on those rare occasions I do the school run in the car. Our lass usually walks the little darlings, it's less than a mile.
The usual is for cars to be pavement parked on both sides of the local roads, allowing one narrow lane down the middle. Being unused to the school run timings, I tend to set off early... and park as I was taught.

subaqua

What’s the point
pah, thats nothing . the Local authority here ( LBWF) have been converting 2 lane roads to single lanes removing the nice wide lane we could cycle in. extending the pavement and letting cars park wholly off road.

Alexandra road E10 is a great example.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I guess I'm disliked on those rare occasions I do the school run in the car. Our lass usually walks the little darlings, it's less than a mile.
The usual is for cars to be pavement parked on both sides of the local roads, allowing one narrow lane down the middle. Being unused to the school run timings, I tend to set off early... and park as I was taught.
Awkward bugger!:laugh:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The ironic thing is that after months of paying no attention to complaints about parking, the local plod and council turned up ticketing after a 2 year old got knocked down and hospitalised. The ironic part being that the mother of the kid that got knocked down was one of the worst offenders. Big chelsea tractor, usually pavement parked on the mouth of a junction.

subaqua

What’s the point
The ironic thing is that after months of paying no attention to complaints about parking, the local plod and council turned up ticketing after a 2 year old got knocked down and hospitalised. The ironic part being that the mother of the kid that got knocked down was one of the worst offenders. Big chelsea tractor, usually pavement parked on the mouth of a junction.

not that i want to see people, especially innocent kids, get hurt but thats Karma.

pah, thats nothing . the Local authority here ( LBWF) have been converting 2 lane roads to single lanes removing the nice wide lane we could cycle in. extending the pavement and letting cars park wholly off road.

Alexandra road E10 is a great example.

Probably a road narrowing scheme in preparation for something else. If it were Rotherham I'd be looking for the nice new road humps next.

subaqua

What’s the point
Probably a road narrowing scheme in preparation for something else. If it were Rotherham I'd be looking for the nice new road humps next.

its one of the approaches to the olympic park notrh Plaza. The same Rd where residents were given a grand by the borough to tart up the front of their houses. £200K in total- but they close a library citing no funds for the £200K a year to run it.

LBWF the borough that wants to make you fat and stupid ( i am part way there on both i think ;) )

i have been cut up several times , 1 even tried to undertake me. sadly i didn't have the vid cam on that day.

GrasB

Veteran
Parking on the pavement has to be taken in context. There are some places where it's obnoxiously anti-social at best & at worst down right dangerous. However there are other places where it's a sensible thing to do.

So where do the residents park then ? The person I visited reckon that each house has at least couple of cars and it becomes a real scrum for parking in the evening.

So where do the residents walk then ? The person I visited uses a wheelchair and it becomes a real scrum for getting out in the evening.

Surely we have not yet reached the point where parking is considered more important than the mobility of individuals and the necessity to use the pavement

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Linford, I think you're missing the point. There isn't enough space in that street for the amount of vehicles in that street. Therefore, the local council has decided to make on pavement parking legal. So once again, motorists' requirements (notice I say requirements, not rights) are being put before anyone elses. I'm sorry, but that is just wrong on so many levels. Car ownership is a luxury. What about the rights of the pedestrians who live on that street and can't afford a car? Are you saying they have to give up their right (not requirement, but "right") to be allowed to travel, unimpeded, along the footpath (clue is in the name) without having to dodge around/squeeze past/be accused of damaging cars that are parked on the footpath that we as cyclists are told in law we are not allowed to use.

Sir, if you believe that this set of circumstances is acceptable, then your head is so far up your rear end, you don't know if it's Tuesday or Christmas.

[rant] [/endrant]

The elephant in the room is the small detail that 'ALL THE VEHICLES THERE BELONG TO THE RESIDENTS'

I just love the way people try to differentiate between motorists and pedestrians as some sort of different species.
It is just quite a ridiculous notions, and worse than that, some bright spark idiot working for local government with then try and flog resident only permits at £100 PA to stop non residents parking there and then dish out 3 permits per household :laugh:

This is the way it works down there. They keep the pavement clear on one side, and allow the vehicles to straddle the other side. The vehicles straddling the pavement leave enough room for people to access their properties in the same way that houses with front gardens will have a gate into it only the width of the footpath to the front door. The down side is that they need to cross the road to gain access to the pavement on the other side of it.

There are many instances where this is in fact the norm in villages up and down the country.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

So where do the residents walk then ? The person I visited uses a wheelchair and it becomes a real scrum for getting out in the evening.

Surely we have not yet reached the point where parking is considered more important than the mobility of individuals and the necessity to use the pavement

I do thing you would find in a straw poll in that road that the residents would view removal of parking rights to be an infringement on their liberty. Cars are seen as status symbols at the end of the day, and right of ownership should not be limited to the better off because they can afford to live in houses with drives....

Top Bottom