Legality of running in the cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you ever get to check on the legalities of running in the road?

It seems to me that putting one's arm out is not a problem - nobody should be passing that closely anyway.

I was never checking the legalities of running in the road, that's clearly allowed - they have the same inherent right that a cycle does! However if you meant did I check the offence of 'causing danger to road users' then yeah I did. You actually have to put an object on the road, alter signage/equipment or interfere with a car for the offence of causing danger to road users, so that one doesn't fit.

However, the wilful obstruction of a highway certainly would fit - although in the big picture, unless they are somehow truly preventing you passing for a significant amount of time, I doubt very much there would be any actual action/issue. Regardless though, if they up there are out with the intention of slowing/stopping you, and succeed, the technicalities of the offence are met.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Coolio, thanks very much! I guess the sticking the arm out thing is fine then, if you assume it's for the intent of getting a safe amount of space from an overtaker. That's of interest to quite a few of us, since we do it on bikes also.

p.s. been having a bit of a troll baiting session with one or two chaps on this video. They seem quite upset at the idea this jogger is perfectly fine running along there, LOL!

HovR

Über Member
Legalities aside, I'm not sure why anyone would rather walk or jog in the cycle lane than the pavement. Slippy drain covers, cars right next to you etc..

Alun

Guru
There doesn't look to be anything wrong with the pavement to me, but wouldn't the runner be better facing oncoming traffic if he needs to run in the road?

Top Bottom