Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a01020304

The A77 in Scotland runs from south of Fenwick to Portpatrick, it is Dual Carriageway in places then goes to two way traffic.
The road has access to farms and does have slow moving tractors on it, however my question is can a non motorised bike (Cycle/Push Bike) be riden on this whole stretch of road that is signed A77?

I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

So I ask everyone out there, in terms of law are you allowed to cycle along the A77? (whether there is a path or not)

The A77 in Scotland runs from south of Fenwick to Portpatrick, it is Dual Carriageway in places then goes to two way traffic.
The road has access to farms and does have slow moving tractors on it, however my question is can a non motorised bike (Cycle/Push Bike) be riden on this whole stretch of road that is signed A77?

I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

So I ask everyone out there, in terms of law are you allowed to cycle along the A77? (whether there is a path or not)
I don't know why you'd want too but if there's not a 'no cycling' sign like on parts of the A68 or A90 there's no bylaw stopping you.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
If it was a motorway it would (probably) be the M77. Anyone can cycle an A road unless there are specific signs prohibiting it. Don't go by Tom Tom or the likes when your gumption suggests otherwise.

OP
OP
A

a01020304

If it was a motorway it would (probably) be the M77. Anyone can cycle an A road unless there are specific signs prohibiting it. Don't go by Tom Tom or the likes when your gumption suggests otherwise.

I am only pointing out they state its a motorway the whole length. I am trying to convince them they are wrong, i am asking others here if they know something I dont

OP
OP
A

a01020304

There a many many 70 mph roads which aren't motorways, so I'd suggest TomTom are talking nonsense.

I agree, I know there are some roads that cycles not allowed on and thats north wales expressway, parts of A1 and A9 but certainly A77 is not one of them to best of my knowlege and certainly not a motorway

In 1990 I walked from dutch house roundabout along A77 to Fenwick and no one batted an eyelid and i was not concerned either, yes traffic pass fast but no one said you cant do that

midlife

Guru
Doesn't it turn into a motorway at junction 8 but before that it has non blue signs so not a motorway?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Has the national speed limit changed from 60 to 70 ?

I am only pointing out they state its a motorway the whole length. I am trying to convince them they are wrong, i am asking others here if they know something I dont
It's shown on the OS map as not being a motorway until it reaches Fenwick, at which point it become the M77 (at J8 of the M77). Pretty unequivocal.

The national speed limit on a dual carriageway is 70mph unless otherwise marked; same as a motorway. That does not make it a motorway and never has. Tom Tom are talking rubbish.

OP
OP
A

a01020304

It's shown on the OS map as not being a motorway until it reaches Fenwick, at which point it become the M77 (at J8 of the M77). Pretty unequivocal.

The national speed limit on a dual carriageway is 70mph unless otherwise marked; same as a motorway. That does not make it a motorway and never has. Tom Tom are talking rubbish.

Unfortunately TomTom moderation and customer care is based in india and they are impossible to convince, despite tomtom being based in holland you have to deal with india and they just dont understand or want to listen

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There a many many 70 mph roads which aren't motorways, so I'd suggest TomTom are talking nonsense.

^^^ This.

There is a 70mph NSL grade separated dual carriageway not quarter of a mile from where I'm sat typing this that I could legally go cycle up and down if I chose.
As has been said, if it's not a motorway (as established by the A- prefix ), unless there are signs specifically forbidding cycling it's open season.

More here: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A77

classic33

Leg End Member
^^^ This.

There is a 70mph NSL grade separated dual carriageway not quarter of a mile from where I'm sat typing this that I could legally go cycle up and down if I chose.
As has been said, if it's not a motorway (as established by the A- prefix ), unless there are signs specifically forbidding cycling it's open season.

More here: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A77
A58 becoming the A58(M)?

Top Bottom