Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

I thought it was only motorways were 70 mph.
The national speed limit is 70 mph (112 km/h) on motorways, 70 mph (112 km/h) on dual carriageways, 60 mph (96 km/h) on single carriageways and generally 30 mph (48 km/h) in areas with street lighting (restricted roads).
You seem to contradict yourself. A dual carriageway isn't a motorway.

Once again I'm amazed/slightly disappointed that people only "think" things about the legalities involved in using the public highway. It's not like the rules are kept a secret.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You seem to contradict yourself. A dual carriageway isn't a motorway.

Once again I'm amazed/slightly disappointed that people only "think" things about the legalities involved in using the public highway. It's not like the rules are kept a secret.
So where are these other roads you can do 70mph on?
where did i say a dual carriageway was a motorway.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I thought it was only motorways were 70 mph.
The national speed limit is 70 mph (112 km/h) on motorways, 70 mph (112 km/h) on dual carriageways, 60 mph (96 km/h) on single carriageways and generally 30 mph (48 km/h) in areas with street lighting (restricted roads).

It's also worth pointing out that the class of vehicle will also determine the applicable speed limit. Not all vehicles are allowed to travel at the 60 or 70 mph limits on those roads.

Tim Hall

So where are these other roads you can do 70mph on?
where did i say a dual carriageway was a motorway.
Roads other than motorways that you can do 70mph on are dual carriageways.

You didn't say dual carriageways were motorways but in the first part of your response said "I thought it was only motorways were 70mph", swiftly followed by "The national speed limit is 70 mph (112 km/h) on motorways, 70 mph (112 km/h) on dual carriageways,". Do you see the contradiction?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Prior to 1988 (IIRC) the NSL on dual carriageways was 60 mph but was increased to 70 mph in that year, bringing the limit into line with motorways.
To answer the OP as I have local knowledge of the A77 -yes it is legal to cycle on it (note - A77; but not on the M77 which starts about Fenwick). Why anyone would want to risk life and limb by putting themselves at the mercy of all that traffic when there are much better alternatives is a different question. It's a horrible road.

Speed limits were introduced in 1965, and were 60 mph for single carriageway, and 70 mph for dual carriageway. They were only reduced to 50 mph, and 60 mph respectively after the oil crisis in 1973. Later they were just restored to their previous values. The lower values were purely a fuel saving measure.

huggy

The other thing about Dual Carriageways is they don’t need 2 lanes in each direction. A dual carriageway is a road where the 2 directions are separated by a physical barrier (can be just a curb). So if you can’t roll a ball across it it’s a dual carriageway

Crankarm

Guru
because the map is wrong and i am trying to tell them that

Let it go, life is too short. Do you have that much spare time that you can embark on this personal crusade which will just be a waste of time? I don't know any cyclists who use TomTom nor has it ever been recommended, but that's not to say there is some one who has used or is using a TomTom for cycling and based on their inaccurate information is being deprived of the opportunity and joy of riding this delightful road.

Let it go, life is too short. Do you have that much spare time that you can embark on this personal crusade which will just be a waste of time? I don't know any cyclists who use TomTom nor has it ever been recommended, but that's not to say there is some one who has used or is using a TomTom for cycling and based on their inaccurate information is being deprived of the opportunity and joy of riding this delightful road.

Yes she does:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121136

Brandane

Legendary Member
The other thing about Dual Carriageways is they don’t need 2 lanes in each direction. A dual carriageway is a road where the 2 directions are separated by a physical barrier (can be just a curb). So if you can’t roll a ball across it it’s a dual carriageway
And conversely, there are multi-lane roads which are NOT dual carriageways as there is no barrier separating them. Some drivers seem to get confused with the difference between lanes and carriageways.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5204014, member: 9609"]I don't know the 77 at all but how does it compare to the 75 ? That would be a joy on a bike, I somehow doubt you're typical Tang with the late-for the-boat-button engaged would give you much care.[/QUOTE]
Six and two threes; I wouldn't cycle on either of them! But if my hand was forced I would prefer to take my chances with the A75; at least it has wide verges for a lot of it's length.

Do TomTom promote their products as suitable for cycling?
If yes then you have a point. If no, then the only problem I can see with this error is that drivers will not expect to come across cyclists on that particular road (if they ever give it any thought).

Ajax Bay

Guru
the map is wrong
Is the map wrong or is it merely TomTom's interpretation of the map? Is that bit of the A77 shown in blue on the map? Screenshot image if you want (and are allowed by noob status). But you've got your answer (above . . . = "Yes it's legal") and maybe you have better things to do than spar with TomTom (wherever in the world their customer service centre is based). What TomTom device have you got fitted to your cycle?
:welcome: to Cycle Chat.

Top Bottom