Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
While we are on the subject of the A77 , is there a decent way to get from Glasgow to Cairnryan ?

On the no cycling theme, A720 Edinburgh city bypass is clearly signposted as a no go area.

boydj

Legendary Member
you missing the point, its does not matter if there is other routes to take its the fact that it specifically says no pedestrians or bikes allowed. HERE maps are the same, its restricting the same and is classed as a Motorway same as A71 at Irvine too.
Maps should be correct for whoever uses them not pick and choose

No! I answered your question very specifically, which was about the cycling on the A77 and not about the shortcomings of TomTom as a cycle routing tool. If you want a cycling route, then you should use an appropriate tool, which the TomTom clearly is not.

boydj

Legendary Member
While we are on the subject of the A77 , is there a decent way to get from Glasgow to Cairnryan ?

On the no cycling theme, A720 Edinburgh city bypass is clearly signposted as a no go area.

As long as you are not in a hurry, there are country roads running mostly parallel with the A77 on an inland route. It's a pretty lumpy route on a bike and a good bit longer.

you missing the point, its does not matter if there is other routes to take its the fact that it specifically says no pedestrians or bikes allowed. HERE maps are the same, its restricting the same and is classed as a Motorway same as A71 at Irvine too.
Maps should be correct for whoever uses them not pick and choose

Please show a screenshot that shows the entire route as being motorway.
The Tomtom mydrive (there's a clue there) link in Milkfloats post above doesn't show the entire route as being motorway. It shows a route out of Fenwick using the M77 which after a short distance becomes the A77. Cyclists cannot use this route because they cannot use the motorway.

boydj

Legendary Member
Unless I wanted to hit the A roads (not dual carriageways) I'd take this route: 140km + 1195m. Enjoy (picking a day with a northerly/easterly).
RwGPS: Glasgow to Cairnryan
You're forced onto the A77 from Ballantrae.

I'd go down to Newton Stewart and then turn right - much quieter and safer, but longer. The A77 south of Ballantrae is pretty bad in a car with all the lorries heading for the port. I'd not like to do it on a bike. I've cycled to Newton Stewart once and driven to Cairnryan and back several times.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What the OP's saying (I think) is that the mapping/routing software does not let one on the A77 near Kilmarnock (say) if the mode of travel chosen is 'cycle'. As I've demonstrated above, the mapping is fine/accurate wrt where the A77 morphs into the M77 near Fenwick. You try this HERE map and try to route on the A77.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd go down to Newton Stewart and then turn right
If one wanted to avoid the A77 north from Cairnryan, rather than going all the way to Newton Stewart (extra 45km), turn off the A714 at Barrhill and // the rail line to New Luce and SW to Castle Kennedy. Only a bit more climb than via Ballantrae and A77.

pjd57

Veteran
Thanks for all the input re Glasgow - Cairnryan.
I'd like to do a few days in Ireland and ideally cycle the whole trip ( except the sea crossing before anyone jumps in )

Mr Celine

Discordian
<pedant> Unlike in Englandshire there is no national speed limit on Scottish motorways. The speed limit is specified in the statutory instrument which defines the road as a special road. </Pedant>

What the OP's saying (I think) is that the mapping/routing software does not let one one the A77 near Kilmarnock (say) if the mode of travel chosen is 'cycle'. As I've demonstrated above, the mapping is fine/accurate wrt where the A77 morphs into the M77 near Fenwick. You try this HERE map and try to route on the A77.
I agree and I think we are making the same point. The Tomtom mydrive (if this is what the op is using, not clear about that) linked to above doesn't have a cycle route option hence the route given is for vehicles and uses the M77 that leads onto the A77. Cyclists cannot therfore use this route out of Fenwick to reach the A77. I don't believe Tomtom are saying cyclists are not allowed on the A77 or that the entire road is motorway. A screenshot could prove otherwise though.

Top Bottom