Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have not followed the whole of this thread and may have missed something and have not been on this road for a couple of years now. From Girvan northwards the road is narrow and nasty but had average speed cameras set to 50 mph. Somewhere about Ayr it turns into a dual carriageway but still speed restricted. Not somewhere I would want to cycle. I go on to the A78 from Monkton but still not somewhere to cycle. From Girvan south as others have said best avoided purely for safety and comfort.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Speed limits for lorries. I travel regularly on the A90 to Aberdeen and most lorries are about 50 to 55 mph. With my Motorhome I tuck in behind one and just stay there. With the car, apart from one short 50 mph section I can do 70 and most cars maintain about this speed.

There is nothing stopping you riding any A road and no cycling signs on an A road are or will be advisory there are lots of time trials that have been or still are raced on the A1 and in East Yorkshire the A63 heading towards the m62 may not be ideal or the safest place to ride but don’t think it’s illegal

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is nothing stopping you riding any A road and no cycling signs on an A road are or will be advisory [...]
I believe the above to be completely untrue, sadly. It is definitely possible for a highway authority to make a Traffic Regulation Order banning cycling from an A road and they have done so, although we could debate the legality of them doing so (as it doesn't really comply with the spirit of the power in the Road Traffic Regulation Act, which is normally used to ban the heavier vehicles from roads where they are likely to injure others, not to ban those who would be injured).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
no cycling signs on an A road are or will be advisory

This "no cycling" sign is not advisory.

A726.jpg

MJR sadly you are right and you answered your own reply traffic orders cannot just be placed without cause or reason we could debate this forever and many examples could be given but here’s one 20 mph limits are almost everywhere enforceable mmmm? 30 mph is the lowest speed limit in uk glasgowcyclist your road must be classed as a motorway?

I must add though if there is a safer cycling route or lane I would hope people would use it rather than compromise safety that’s why I fully support sustrans etc who campaign on all cyclists behalf for safety

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
MJR sadly you are right and you answered your own reply traffic orders cannot just be placed without cause or reason we could debate this forever and many examples could be given but here’s one 20 mph limits are almost everywhere enforceable mmmm?
I'm sorry but I don't understand that question.

Also, try finding the reasons for a traffic order. It's very rare that they're anything other than nonsense copy-paste.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
glasgowcyclist your road must be classed as a motorway?

No, as Brandane states (and the picture shows) it is the A726. Map link Note also the colour of the route information sign, not blue as it would be on a motorway.

30 mph is the lowest speed limit in uk

Not true, otherwise thousands of offenders who break the 20mph limit couldn't be put on awareness courses as an alternative to prosecution.

Speeding.png

No 20 mph limit advisory only but I do totally agree with the placing of these for safety if you have been on an awareness course it will be because you were at 31 mph

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
No 20 mph limit advisory only but I do totally agree with the placing of these for safety if you have been on an awareness course it will be because you were at 31 mph
I suggest you contact the AA legal department and put them right: they say you get a fixed penalty for doing 24 in a 20 zone when a course is not considered appropriate or a speed awareness course for 24 to 31mph. This is confirmed by a freedom of information request to the NPCC (National Police Chiefs' Council) in February 2018.
I'd tend to place more reliance on either of these sources than some random poster on an internet forum.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Scottish Government appear to be considering 20 mph max. limit on rural roads. This is at a very early stage so no further details that I know of.

Top Bottom